An upgrade to phpBB v3.2.7

Post here if you encounter technical problems related to the forum. See a spammer? Report it here.
PFMcFarland

Re: An upgrade to phpBB v3.2.7

Post by PFMcFarland »

melek wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:38 am
By the way, that Porsche in the video sold at auction for $17 million.
Actually, it was withdrawn from sale. Seems the person running the video board of bids misunderstood the auctioneer when he was calling out the bids due to his thick Dutch accent. So 13,000,000 was posted as 30,000,000, and no one noticed the discrepancy until the bids reached 17,000,000, which was posted as 70,000,000. At that point, the auction boards were reset to 17,000,000, but no more bids came in due to all the confusion as to what just went down. Since the reserve was higher than 17,000,000 it was then withdrawn.

I read somewhere later on that the car isn't even an original Type 64.

PF

Waiting for the light
titrisol
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by titrisol »

Well, it says that there are 3 ever made,
the one pcitured above toured in the Porsche by Design exhibit a few years back, was fully rebuilt after extensive damages (i assume during the war)
the one at auction was pretty much original

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chucktanne ... 401b685f77

I honestly can;t believe people at Sotheby's would be so stupid as to mistake accents, especially from dutch people dertien and dertig are very different
If you can't fix it with a hammer... you got an electrical problem
even duct tape can't fix stupid.... but it can muffle it (SilentObserver)
My Flickr -ipernity
Thanks CE Nelson ;)
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

titrisol wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:51 am
Well, it says that there are 3 ever made,
the one pcitured above toured in the Porsche by Design exhibit a few years back, was fully rebuilt after extensive damages (i assume during the war)
the one at auction was pretty much original

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chucktanne ... 401b685f77

I honestly can;t believe people at Sotheby's would be so stupid as to mistake accents, especially from dutch people dertien and dertig are very different
After reading that article I can see where the author of the one I read made his mistake. It's not that it wasn't an original Type 64, but that the Porsche corporation did not exist when it was built. Splitting some fine hairs on that one.

PF
Waiting for the light