Ansco Super Regent

Talk about rangefinder cameras, lenses and accessories.
titrisol
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Ansco Super Regent

Post by titrisol »

scott wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2024 3:56 pm
Is the Solinette II the same as the Regent? I had it in my head a Regent was analogous to the Solinette. Very nice collection!
I believe they are equivalent, with a rebadge and a plaque that says made by AGFA, etc etc

At least my Super-regent and my Super-Solinette are functionally identical with the cosmetic changes in the door and the plaque

If you can't fix it with a hammer... you got an electrical problem
even duct tape can't fix stupid.... but it can muffle it (SilentObserver)
My Flickr -ipernity
Thanks CE Nelson ;)
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

titrisol wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2024 3:59 pm
scott wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2024 3:56 pm
Is the Solinette II the same as the Regent? I had it in my head a Regent was analogous to the Solinette. Very nice collection!
I believe they are equivalent, with a rebadge and a plaque that says made by AGFA, etc etc

At least my Super-regent and my Super-Solinette are functionally identical with the cosmetic changes in the door and the plaque
Yep, right down to the Bayer grease/glue. I never did get my helical to loosen up. I'll give it a go some day after I've cleared up a bit of the clutter around here.

PF
Waiting for the light
scott
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by scott »

Yeah, I knew Solinette = Regent, Super and non-, but had never seen the "Solinette II" label. I know Agfa was into that whole convoluted naming convention in the Isolette line, never heard it on the 35mm folders. Interesting.
scott
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by scott »

PFMcFarland wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2024 3:10 pm
Yep, right down to the Bayer grease/glue. I never did get my helical to loosen up. I'll give it a go some day after I've cleared up a bit of the clutter around here.

PF
So, the Regent (scale focus) that I bought in 2010, and that I spent untold hours trying to unstick the helical with solvents, and hair dryers, and brute force, just came loose after letting some PB B’laster soak into the space between the helicoids. Smooth as hell now. Gives me some hope for the Super Regent.
scott
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by scott »

Ugh. The inner helicoid is moving smoothly. The outer helicoid, that the focus/distance wheel turns, is still mostly frozen. It’s been so long since I did one of these. Drat - so close…
titrisol
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by titrisol »

scott wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2024 12:20 am
Ugh. The inner helicoid is moving smoothly. The outer helicoid, that the focus/distance wheel turns, is still mostly frozen. It’s been so long since I did one of these. Drat - so close…
Yes, the focusing helicoid (the one with the grip pins) is the hardest to move
The inner is easier to desolidify
ChrisSherlock
My Flickr -ipernity
Thanks CE Nelson ;)
scott
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by scott »

Great video, but I'm calling BS. "This part is really stuck - let me drop three or four drops of acetone in there! Right - now it's loose and I can move it." C'mon. I've worked on dozens of Agfa/Anscos, not a single one has gone like that.

I had a Super Speedex once, that was a beautiful camera, and everything worked flawlessly, EXCEPT the focus. I tried everything I could, but could not even budge it. Like, at all. It was such a nice camera, though, that before I destroyed it, I sent it off to Jurgen. He had it fixed, lubed and sipped within three days. I asked, 'cause who of us wouldn't, and he said he has a trained gorilla specifically for this task. So, there is a way.

I have some electrical contact cleaner I use to clean out pots on amplifiers - wonder if that would work?
titrisol
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by titrisol »

scott wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2024 8:13 am
I have some electrical contact cleaner I use to clean out pots on amplifiers - wonder if that would work?
ECC is very aggressive and works great to eliminate the old grease
I use a combination of PF's PB Blaster and ECC and yes it can take many many applications
but considering C.Sherlock is is Australia he might have a trained kangaroo or wombat for this
My Flickr -ipernity
Thanks CE Nelson ;)
P C Headland
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by P C Headland »

Grrrrr. :evil: No bloody kangaroos near him.

Chris Sherlock is a Kiwi. A Mainlander even (South Islander).

Now, go unstick ten stuck Agfa helicoids as penance. :D
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Julio1fer »

Once, years ago, my tech told me that he used a custom adaptation of a pipe wrench for Agfa grease, i.e. just brute force (or better said, brute torque).