NelsonFoto dot Com

If you need to unleash a rant or just have something that you want to say, you can post it here. It doesn't have to be about photography.
melek
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Re: NelsonFoto dot Com

Post by melek »

What do you think about throwing in some money and keeping the site up and then grabbing some posts - maybe not all 11,000 of them or 20,000 or however many there were? But a few hundred or maybe a few thousand? I can create an area here - Best of Nelson foto, The Nelsonfoto Vault, etc.

-Mike Elek
jamesmck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by jamesmck »

melek wrote:What do you think about throwing in some money and keeping the site up and then grabbing some posts - maybe not all 11,000 of them or 20,000 or however many there were? But a few hundred or maybe a few thousand? I can create an area here - Best of Nelson foto, The Nelsonfoto Vault, etc.
That sounds great, Mike!
James McKearney
melek
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by melek »

I'll pledge $30 toward this.
-Mike Elek
jamesmck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by jamesmck »

melek wrote:I'll pledge $30 toward this.
Me, too. Where to send a check? Maybe Phil would agree to continue dealing with doing the payments with contributed funds.
James McKearney
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Julio1fer »

Yes, that would be nice. I can contribute via Paypal.
melek
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by melek »

If you can provide a PayPal address, I'll send the money that I got for the Retina, which I will get into the mail. Sorry about the delay. Been working crazy long hours these past two weeks.
-Mike Elek
Sandeha

Post by Sandeha »

Hi guys and gals ...

I was looking for a link to the video of CE giving a talk and slide show about his book. Maybe my memory's failing, but I couldn't find if it was still online somewhere, either on Youtube or Vimeo I guess.

But I did find a copy of something I saved (and edited) from an Arkansas newspaper from 2008.

By all means download it if you wish. http://sandehalynch.com/docs/nat20080720_cen2.pdf
LarryD
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by LarryD »

BTW today is C E's Birthday.
If we all saw the world the same no one would need a camera.
jamesmck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by jamesmck »

Phil - Would you be willing to resume monthly payments with pledged funds? If so, maybe give a PayPal address in PMs to those who have pledged. Thanks.
James McKearney
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

James, I took on the responsibility of keeping the site going when it seemed that no one could figure out what to do about it, but everybody wanted it to continue. Over the time I payed to keep the site going, the posting counts just kept on falling. The last one (except for Philip's accidental note right before the suspension) was back in late March, and it was just a reply. I had posted quite a few times, with hardly a reply from anyone here. There were only a few other posts from folks who either never migrated over to here, or are not very active. I was starting to feel like I was only keeping the site open for myself.

If someone else would like to take over the bill paying, that's fine with me. But without any administrative control over the site, it will be harder and harder to keep it going, as sooner or later the software will need to be replaced. Maybe next time the hackers will be successful in breaking-in, and steal all our private information. If no one is going to show any interest in the site except when it is wonky, then I don't see a need to keep it going, much as I hate to lose all that information. Les Geddiman was an inspiration to me, with his delightful musings about everything, and his great photography. I even picked up a couple of good recipes from him and Claudia. But like they say, nothing lasts forever, and on the Internet, that time is even shorter.

Without proper administration, NelsonFoto would not last much longer, no matter how long we pay the bills.

PF
Waiting for the light