New scans, old Provia...

Often simply written as "W/NW" - your favorite photos. Explain them, or let your photos (film or digital) speak for themselves.
scott
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

New scans, old Provia...

Post by scott »

Found some old (circa-2007) provia in the closet last week. Scanned a couple pictures off it today (testing new software on a new laptop). Bowman's Hill preserve, Bucks County, PA.

ImageBowman's Hill by Scott, on Flickr

ImageBowman's Hill by Scott, on Flickr

Think these were with some Rolleiflex. I'm developing an Acros test roll from a project camera now, but these scans have me pining to shoot chromes again. There's something about seeing a big positive film image that's magic.

I do have some Provia in 4x5. Hmm...

Scott

Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Re: New scans, old Provia...

Post by Julio1fer »

Nothing compares to a large slide in a good light box. And your new scanner seems to be working!
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

Lovely scenes, Scott. Good thing you have the 4x5 stuff, as decent slide film is getting scarce these days.

PF
Waiting for the light
scott
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by scott »

You know what, PF? I looked at getting some 120 Provia after this. And I found some, and was willing to pay for it. But then I looked at my two (fairly) local "pro" labs - Dan's Camera City in Allentown and Bowers in Reading. Neither do in-house E6 anymore. That took me aback enough that I'm holding off on buying the film until I find somewhere competent to develop it (I can see doing 4x5 E6 at home, but for whatever reason 120 or 135 seem unrealistic). Pah.
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

A friend of mine who lives in Grove City used York for a long time, but now he sends his stuff off to some place in Wisconsin. I haven't shot any E6 since my local lab quit selling it. They only did the developing on a Thursday, so if I missed getting there on Friday to pick it up, I'd have to wait until Monday since they are closed Sat/Sun.

PF
Waiting for the light
Brazile
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Brazile »

I've done C41 in 120 and 135 and found that it's not really any worse than doing 4x5, for what it's worth -- similar challenges. I have the E-6 kit and am meaning to try it when I have some time to mix up the chemistry. If you're worried about cost, I recommend the el cheap thermos ice cooler approach, which I tried and found works well. Just heat the water that you put in the chest a degree or two more than needed, and it all works out in the end.

Robert
scott
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by scott »

I've actually done 4x5 E6 that way Robert. Worked out pretty well, too, if I do say so:

Imagecrop272 by Scott, on Flickr

BUT, that's one-shot for me. I get really nervous about reusing developer for color, especially with chromes, and that gets expensive quick for 120 or 135. Not sure I'm a good candidate for doing roll film E6 because of that.
Brazile
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Brazile »

Huh. I've never done it one-shot -- I just re-used the chemistry the prescribed number of times. Seemed to work pretty well. But I didn't push it either, so I don't know where the limit is. Don't blame you for being wary of it, though.

Robert
LarryD
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by LarryD »

Some old Fuji last well like some old AGFA films.
If we all saw the world the same no one would need a camera.
P C Headland
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by P C Headland »

It's pretty expensive down here now as well, and there are fewer and fewer places that develop E6. A LF sheet costs as much as a roll, making LF chromes very expensive.

I think it's not so much the re-using, but how long between developing sessions. Maybe you need to batch all the developing up, but that then means your turn-around times increase.