Camera for a trip

Accessories, tripods, the future of digital and other topics that don't fit within one of the other categories.
alexvaras
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Camera for a trip

Post by alexvaras »

Hello,

In a week or so I will go to visit family&friends back in Spain. It will be a short trip, a week + 1.
My question to you is, how well the films can handle the airport scanners? The 35mm film canaster is made of metal so I cannot take them through the metal arc detector without trigering it, so I was thinking 120mm which I think I could "pass" it though:)
Any advice?

Thank you in advance :)

Ops, I just saw this thread is on Digital not on Film, any admin can move it please?
Last edited by alexvaras on Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dustin McAmera
Amateur
Amateur

Re: Camera for a trip

Post by Dustin McAmera »

I haven't had any problem with the machines they use for carry-on bags; the machine they use on the luggage checked into the hold left plainly visible wavy lines when I left some film in my case accidentally.
I should add my experience is all with fairly slow film, up to ISO 400.
Dustin McAmera, Leeds, UK.
My flickr pages
Camera-wiki.org
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Re: Camera for a trip

Post by Julio1fer »

No problem with a few scans of carry-on bagagge with ISO 400 film or lower, I have had ISO 400 film go through these scanners many times. In a typical trip I may get from 4 to 6 scans on the film and it has come out OK every time, both C-41 and B&W.

On the other hand, checked lugagge scanners will fog film for sure. Never send film in checked baggage. Don't ask me how I know.

If you have an opportunity, show the film and camera to the guards before scanning, or ask for hand inspection. Depending on the airport and on how busy they are, you might have the chance to avoid scanning. No big deal if your film is in carry-on.

Once (I think it was in L.A. airport) I was showing a 120 roll to a guard, she told me "Get that in your pocket and go through the arc, no problem". And she was right. But it may depend on the arc equipment.