First ice layer on the river.

Often simply written as "W/NW" - your favorite photos. Explain them, or let your photos (film or digital) speak for themselves.
alexvaras
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

First ice layer on the river.

Post by alexvaras »

Hi all,

Something unexpected, a sunny day in December and even better on a Sunday morning, the last 3 sheets of the 25 pack.
Two more lenses to test, both already mine after this test.

Two first photos with Xenar 150mm f4,5 from 1927. The lens is spotless, amazing.
FullSizeRender 28.jpg
FullSizeRender 28.jpg (46.72 KiB) Viewed 14100 times
The real image was prettier than this, I don't know why it's not focused as I wanted and also the steam can't be seen .
From ice to steam.

This went better for my taste.
Balance on the river.

And now a barrel lens one a Compur Dial shutter, I know it's not the way for a purist but... c'est la vie.
CZJ Dagor 210mm f9 from 1942, a true wide lens for 8x10 used in a 4x5. As the previous one, great lens state, just a very tiny cleaning marks on the front lens.
FullSizeRender 29.jpg
FullSizeRender 29.jpg (34.99 KiB) Viewed 14100 times
No boats for tourists.

Nice morning indeed, shooting 3 during during 1 hour at -15 degrees with the sun at my back and people taking photos of me, at least one guy recognised the format. Regarding the temperature, this camera and all the procedure is 100% gloves approved!! :)
Lord Winter is here finally!

Please comments are welcome and thank you for watching.
Alex

GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Re: First ice layer on the river.

Post by GrahamS »

Alex, those are very good indeed! I presume that you have the camera on a tripod. What film? Isn't it amazing how large format becomes so obvious even on screen. Wonderful tones and detail. Bravo! That is a view of the Kremlin that I have never seen before.
GrahamS
Age brings wisdom....or age shows up alone. You never know.
alexvaras
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by alexvaras »

Thank you Graham.
Yes on a tripod with Nagaoka 4x5, film is Ilford delta 100, first photo was 1/50s at f8, second 1/50s at f16 and third I think it was 1/100s at f22.
Develop with D-76 12 min usual inversions, stop, fix 4 min and "Ilford wash", scanned with Epson 4990.

The exact points I shot were these, I live just 5 minutes away to the right.
Screen Shot 2018-12-17 at 15.46.12.png
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by GrahamS »

Thanks for the info, Alex. I must look for a 4990 for myself. Then I may try and follow your example in the new year.
GrahamS
alexvaras
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by alexvaras »

The saga goes on. This sooting was for testing a lens I have been offered, Fujinon W 180mm f/5.6, the lens has a problem in the rear lens, last element, it has something I can't remove/clean.
For having something to compare the first shot is my Symmar 210mm f/5.6, three others with Fujinon.

Black spots I.

Black spots II.

Ice, no steam anymore.

Snowy pier.

These last two I did my home work and I used f32 and f37 for having all I wanted in focus, speed was 1/8sec with Delta 100. It seems I did fine.
Any reason for not keeping the lens?

Thank you watching.
Alex
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

Hmmm, no flare effects, and the "Black Dots" are quite comparable. Looks like a keeper to me.

PF
Waiting for the light
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by GrahamS »

The black spots are probably fungus. They will have no effect on the lens performance and should not get any bigger provided that you have killed the fungus by applying Ethel alcohol. You would need to use Pond's Cold Cream on your finger tip to polish it off, which is a long and tedious process. This would also remove any coating if it is not an internal surface.
GrahamS
alexvaras
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by alexvaras »

GrahamS wrote:The black spots are probably fungus. They will have no effect on the lens performance and should not get any bigger provided that you have killed the fungus by applying Ethel alcohol. You would need to use Pond's Cold Cream on your finger tip to polish it off, which is a long and tedious process. This would also remove any coating if it is not an internal surface.
Uhm... Black spots I and II are photos taken of the river in the process of freezing or am I missing something lost in translation?
I will try to show the defect of the lens later.
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by GrahamS »

No, I am misinterpreting your captions. Black spot is a type of fungus found on optics.
GrahamS
alexvaras
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by alexvaras »

GrahamS wrote:No, I am misinterpreting your captions. Black spot is a type of fungus found on optics.
Ok, any suggestion for the captions? :)