Samurai X3.0

When you want less than 24mm x 36mm.
minoly
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Samurai X3.0

Post by minoly »

Earlier this month I posted about the Fujica Half. This post is about quite a different kind of HF camera-- the Samurai X3.0, or as the members of the UK-based Half Frame Group used to call it, the Sam 3. It dates from 1988; it was the first of the Samurai cameras--later models that I knew about were the X4.0, the Z, and the ZL. This post is pretty much limited to the Sam 3.
The Sam 3 is a true SLR with a fixed 3X zoom lens ranging from 25 to 75mm focal length (about equivalent to 35 - 105 in full frame, a very useful range). It's also a fully automatic camera -- focus, exposure, film advance, rewind etc. Some flexibility is provided through flash and drive options. A built-in flash (somewhat under-powered, I think) can be replaced by a standard one using an accessory shoe. The viewfinder shows 85% of the area captured on film. A 49mm thread on the lens allows easy use of standard lens accessories. The design of the camera would remind you of a video camera; one reviewer (it may have been Herbert Keppler) said that it was designed that way so that it would fit on its side in a common size of attache case used in Japan. Because of the shape, it is held from bottom to top on the left side with the fingers extending over to the right side where the zoom controls are located, the right hand on the shutter release. An accessory grip allows one handed operation (not zooming) if needed. Either way it is easy to hold.

The Sam 3 has some disadvantages, many of which (I've read) were corrected in the later models. It is completely automatic, so you pretty much have to go along with what the camera says, but it's usually right. The autofocus hunts in low light. I don't find it really convenient to use as a flash camera or for available light in normal home conditions; but I have successfully taken plenty of pictures in well-lighted galleries or museums. I think that the disadvantages are outweighed by the convenience and the quality of the results which are quite impressive. The color is outstanding and the sharpness is not outdone by any other HF camera I've used. Most HF cameras are best for close to middle distance-- the Sam 3 can handle distant views and resolve them satisfactorily. It is very convenient for travel and can handle most things you'd want to photograph as a tourist. The combination of true SLR viewing and automatic operation in a small package that can make more than 70 photos before reloading is pretty neat. In my opinion, the category of full frame 35 cameras to compare the HF Sam 3 to is not P&S, but the Zoom Lens Reflex (the Olympus IS line)-- such a comparison points out the advantages of the SLR viewing. Here are some photos to show some examples of my results from the Sam 3.

St. Paul Fellowship Church
St. Paul Fellowship Church fr.NE.2.snd.jpg
St. Paul Fellowship Church fr.NE.2.snd.jpg (202.36 KiB) Viewed 13900 times
Minnesota Governor Floyd B. Olson. Statue at State Capitol
Floyd-B.-Olson-StatueWEB.jpg
Monarch Butterfly at Zinnia
Monarch-onZinnia-WEB.jpg
A couple of comments for anybody who might consider getting a Samurai:
--the Samurai line exposes in landscape orientation when held as described above;
--Sam 3 uses a 2CR5 battery;
--advice from the UK Half Frame group claimed that Yashica needed to reprogram the camera when the "date and time" battery needed replacement. I doubt that anyone does that service now: I've replaced that little battery in my primary Sam 3 (I do have a backup) and it's true that now the camera does get cranky from time to time and that could be due to the needed reprogramming.

Edited on 9/24/17 to restore photos that were lost due to Photo Bucket's changed policy. Still missing is a photo of the camera. It will come later.
Last edited by minoly on Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

melek
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Re: Samurai X3.0

Post by melek »

Thanks for the writeup on that.

That camera is very unique and I guess it arrived at a time long after the half-frame craze had passed. I didn't know that Yashica produced not one but four models. Or were there even more than that.

Geez, maybe I should look into one of these cameras.
-Mike Elek
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

I liked the results I got with BW400CN.

Bedford County Court House by br1078phot, on Flickr

Hardest part is getting used to making sure it has focused before pressing the shutter button the rest of the way. I loaded it the other day with HP5, but then wasn't able to go shoot, so it's waiting for some action.

PF
Waiting for the light
minoly
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by minoly »

Thanks for the reply, Mike. I believe that there was at least one more in the line, it was APS, called, IIRC, the Centurion. Users who knew both the X3.0 and the later Z Samurai thought very highly of the Z. It was lighter and had features such as exposure compensation. I haven't seen one.

Bill Delehanty (Minoly)
minoly
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by minoly »

That's a fine result from your Samurai, Phil, and a fine courthouse, too; it seems as though every county in the country did their best to put up a good building for the courthouse. Can you get the 400CN in a 24 exposure load? I can get a 12 exposure reload of T-Max 400 from Photo Warehouse and that works well with HF; they might have some C41 b&w film in a reload, too, but, I don't think 400CN.

Bill Delehanty
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

It's been months since I've seen a roll of BW400CN, Bill. I think I've got four rolls left in the fridge. Too bad Kodak quit making it. I also can no longer get the ProFoto XL 100 color I really like. I don't like ordering it this time of year because of the heat induced during transport, so will be looking into restocking this fall or winter. Maybe get a bulk roll of B&W, and start doing my own processing.

PF
Waiting for the light
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Julio1fer »

That looks like a very capable camera! Well done!

PF, time to do your own processing, scanning and printing, you'll never look back. Half frame with TMX is a treat.
LarryD
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by LarryD »

I have using using a cheap toy with a Doublet lens it has 2 f stops.the nice one I got from Pete went tips up. I have also been too busy creting a Frankin Developer. I am prety close to netting it right.
If we all saw the world the same no one would need a camera.