How Green Was My Hill

Often simply written as "W/NW" - your favorite photos. Explain them, or let your photos (film or digital) speak for themselves.
PFMcFarland

How Green Was My Hill

Post by PFMcFarland »

Well, greens actually, seeing as it used to be a golf resort. The last of the undisturbed ground has been removed to make room for two more streets, and eighty new town or patio homes. Across the lane they've created four pads for apartment buildings that will total ninety units. I think it's time to look for another hill.

(Five image stitch in PS Elements 2019, taken with a Nikon D300s and DX AF-S Nikkor 18-105mm 1:3.5-5.6G ED VR)

The Big Dig by P F McFarland, on Flickr

PF

Waiting for the light
alexvaras
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Re: How Green Was My Hill

Post by alexvaras »

Do you live in one of those houses that can be seen in the photo?
jamesmck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by jamesmck »

Very sad, Phil.
James McKearney
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by GrahamS »

The urbanisation of the countryside.....our legacy to the future.
GrahamS
Age brings wisdom....or age shows up alone. You never know.
Philip
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Philip »

Sad stuff.

But well done stitched picture.
My Flickrs: http://www.flickr.com/flipflik (recent postings), or
- http://www.flickriver.com/photos/flipfl ... teresting/ (Flickr's calculation of my "most interesting" pics);
- http://www.flickr.com/photos/flipflik/s ... 879115542/ (what I like best).
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

alexvaras wrote:Do you live in one of those houses that can be seen in the photo?
Funny thing about that, Alex. When they brought the construction trailers, I was talking with one of the workers about what type of buildings were going in, and whether they would be apartments or not. He informed me they would be single-family town homes, "...but you wouldn't want to buy one."

He was right! I took a tour one day when they were holding an open house, and it was hard to find a square corner in any room. Plus the layouts left something to be desired, with a garage in place of a front room, and a window inside a closet just to make the front of the building look balanced. Later on I was talking with a lady who purchased one of the patio homes, and she knew the family that owned the development company. She warned them there had better not be any issues with her place, and she backed that up by bringing in an independent building inspector who found at least a dozen code violations that had to be repaired before they could close it in.

PF
Waiting for the light
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

Thanks, Philip. Here's a view of the other side of the lane where the ninety apartment units are going in.

Across The Lane by P F McFarland, on Flickr

Tis a sad time indeed, Graham and James. Traffic at the bottom of the hill is going to be so bad. Especially since there is only a light on one end, and that turns yellow after four cars get through. At the other end you have to deal with all the traffic coming of Peters Creek Road using Dent Road as a shortcut to Williamson Road. The wide open spaces of Indiana are starting to look a lot better.

PF
Waiting for the light
alexvaras
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by alexvaras »

PFMcFarland wrote:
alexvaras wrote:Do you live in one of those houses that can be seen in the photo?
Funny thing about that, Alex. When they brought the construction trailers, I was talking with one of the workers about what type of buildings were going in, and whether they would be apartments or not. He informed me they would be single-family town homes, "...but you wouldn't want to buy one."

He was right! I took a tour one day when they were holding an open house, and it was hard to find a square corner in any room. Plus the layouts left something to be desired, with a garage in place of a front room, and a window inside a closet just to make the front of the building look balanced. Later on I was talking with a lady who purchased one of the patio homes, and she knew the family that owned the development company. She warned them there had better not be any issues with her place, and she backed that up by bringing in an independent building inspector who found at least a dozen code violations that had to be repaired before they could close it in.

PF
I think it's a no, you don't. Sorry if my question incomodated you, sometimes I'm very naive.
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

alexvaras wrote:
PFMcFarland wrote:

PF
I think it's a no, you don't. Sorry if my question incomodated you, sometimes I'm very naive.
No, no, you didn't put me out. Alex. I just chose a different way of answering instead of just flat saying no, more of an explanation of why I don't live in one of those places (not that I didn't think about it). I live in one of the original buildings that were part of the resort, of which I'll have some photos of the balcony replacement posted soon.

PF
Waiting for the light
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by GrahamS »

We have exactly the same issues with new-build construction this side of the pond. When one is used to the size and imaginative design of homes in Australia and RSA, one wonders where the architects here qualified. Somalia?
GrahamS
Age brings wisdom....or age shows up alone. You never know.