Minolta XD11

Talk about single-lens reflex cameras, lenses and accessories.
melek
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Minolta XD11

Post by melek »

I remember when this camera was first released. I thought it was one of the coolest cameras around. Smaller size. Aperture- and shutter-priority autoexposure and full manual exposure.

I can't remember the reason why I didn't buy it. Perhaps, it was because I believed the naysayers who said you can't have a camera that doesn't have a full range of manual shutter speeds if the batteries die. Or maybe because I was anxious to buy into Nikon.

Around 2003, I bought the first of these cameras. Never had a chance to use it and gave to a buddy of mine, who grew up poor and had really lusted after one of these when he was young.

About 2008, I bought another. It had the typical problems: Debris in the viewfinder. gooey foam seals and a common problem with the XD/XG series - shrinking body covering.

So after an overhaul, I picked up a fresh covering from Aki-Asahi.

This has an electronic shutter release that requires just the right amount of pressure. I have a very small number of lenses, and I just gave away my 28mm to another buddy of mine.

I picked up a 1.4 normal lens recently, so I took it for a spin. Wide open, I found the lens a bit uneven - sometimes nice, sometimes harsh.

Closed down beyond f/8, it's like other lenses.

These are drugstore scans, so they aren't the highest quality. Maybe it explains that odd scan above (the third of the "wide open" shots).

Regardless, I love the XD11. Just the right size and has all the features that anyone needs, except for the superfast top shutter speed, which I rarely use on my other cameras.

-Mike Elek
PFMcFarland

Re: Minolta XD11

Post by PFMcFarland »

I kept getting outbid so much on those, I finally gave up. One day I'll come across one in decent shape. Only other one I've seen around here turned out to be junk.

PF
Waiting for the light
Tom Hildreth

Re: Minolta XD11

Post by Tom Hildreth »

I bought one used about 8 years ago. I use it regularly, and appreciate the quiet, smooth shutter. The internal LEDs are not bright at all, and they come on just prior to exposure, which I'm sure isn't correct. Nevertheless, I've taken hundreds of photos with it using a half dozen or so Rokkor lenses and it performs very well. I haven't seen the shrinking of the cover material.