18x24cm Portraiture

When medium format isn't big enough: 4x5, 5x7, 9x12, 8x10 and even larger.
scott
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

18x24cm Portraiture

Post by scott »

Hi all -

Weather was overcast today, which I'm finding helps a bit with the mammography film (Fujifilm UM-MA). Decided, between spits of drizzle, to shoot a couple sheets on the kids. Maddie had (virtual) convocation today, and was dressed nicely, so all the better.

Imageimg084a by Scott, on Flickr

Damn glasses. Nailed the focus, too.

This was using a holder I hadn't used before. This shot actually had some pretty significant light leaks along one edge (cropped for this). I'm going to test again, hoping that I pulled the holder off the rails slightly when I pulled the darkslide.

However...

Imageimg085 by Scott, on Flickr

No leaks. Good exposure. I'm happy with this. And good use of the Wray Lustrar 18" process lens, which I'd never considered for portraiture.

Thanks for looking. More to come...
Scott

alexvaras
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Re: 18x24cm Portraiture

Post by alexvaras »

I would never had thought that mammography film could be used for photography until I see some samples. Pretty good one!
Nice photos, Scott. As you, happened the same with glasses, until you see the photo I don’t know if it will be reflection or not.

scott
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by scott »

Thanks Alex. X-ray has gained quite a following for 8x10 and larger in recent years, largely due to the fractional cost relative to panchromatic film. There are some trade-offs, but it works fairly well. X-ray is double-sided emulsion; mammography film is single-sided, which simplifies things.

The lens is f/10 wide open - there was no way I could see the reflection off her glasses. Live and learn.

Scott

titrisol
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by titrisol »

XRay film used to be a cheap way to get into LF, I got a few boxes of expires XRay plates from a friend whose father worked in a hospital bakc in the 1990s
He also got me some 35mm film used for heart catheterisms I think. They couldn't use any roll of less than 15m.

Mammography film would have been nice!

If you can't fix it with a hammer... you got an electrical problem
even duct tape can't fix stupid.... but it can muffle it (SilentObserver)
My Flickr -ipernity
Thanks CE Nelson ;)