Yellowed lens

Talk about single-lens reflex cameras, lenses and accessories.
anthonym-3

Yellowed lens

Post by anthonym-3 »

I have a PENTAX 50mm f 1:4 SUPER TAKUMAR. Will the yellowing have the same or similar effect upon black & white film?

titrisol
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Yellowed lens

Post by titrisol »

Yes, it acts like a light-yellow or warming filter. However you lose 2/3 to 1 stop exposure.
You can cure it easily by exposing your lens to light either in a windowsill or with a bright white LED light for a short time.

I learned the trick in a Spotmatic discussion a while ago
Wim VanHeugen said "I use the alternative cure that was published on the Internet somewhere: expose the rear element to the light of a simple Ikea LED desk lamp. After a week or so the yelowing is gone.
Mostly it is stated that the lens element shouyld be exposed to UV-light but this desk lamp does not emit any UV!! Makes me think that just strong light does it. "

And here is a picture as well
http://forum.mflenses.com/fast-lens-de- ... 68896.html

And the explanation on how intense light helps curing the stain of radiation here: https://www.osti.gov/servlets/purl/10178461/
This report gives an overview of the effects of ionizing radiation on optical materials that may be used in spacecraft sensors. It introduces the relevant phenomena and indicates were more detailed information can be found. The topics covered include radiation induced absorption in ultraviolet transmitting materials, ordinary optical glasses, cerium stabilized optical glasses, and infrared transmitting materials; bleaching and annealing, and radioluminesence.
Last edited by titrisol on Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:33 am, edited 4 times in total.
If you can't fix it with a hammer... you got an electrical problem
even duct tape can't fix stupid.... but it can muffle it (SilentObserver)
My Flickr -ipernity
Thanks CE Nelson ;)
alexvaras
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by alexvaras »

I have a UV nail dryer only for that, 3 days in a row and the yellowing it goes away
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Julio1fer »

This must work through the visible part of the light spectrum. Not much UV gets through glass. But it does work!
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by GrahamS »

Exposure to bright sunlight over a period of three days will clear the yellowing completely. It is caused by the Thorium compound used in the glass mix, which is slightly radioactive. You can read more here: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4010268
GrahamS
Age brings wisdom....or age shows up alone. You never know.
titrisol
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by titrisol »

That is correct, intense light is the main clearing agent, as per the OSTI article I linked before.
This was tested in the 1940s and 50s, when it was observed that pyrex bottles exposed to radiation were browning and that the browning was cured after exposing to intense light either solar or artificial.

I was taught about UV exposure several years ago and yes 3-5 days in the windowsill worked fine for me; even in the Dutch winter 7 days did a lot of good. I learned about the IKEA lamp trick more rcently and tested it on my Super-Tak 50/1.4 and was pleasantly surprised as how quickly it worked (less than 24h)

Julio1fer wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:21 pm
This must work through the visible part of the light spectrum. Not much UV gets through glass. But it does work!
If you can't fix it with a hammer... you got an electrical problem
even duct tape can't fix stupid.... but it can muffle it (SilentObserver)
My Flickr -ipernity
Thanks CE Nelson ;)