Ramón, 1921-2014

Often simply written as "W/NW" - your favorite photos. Explain them, or let your photos (film or digital) speak for themselves.
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Ramón, 1921-2014

Post by Julio1fer »

I have not been very active lately because I have been tending my parents, both of whom passed away recently (mother in April, father following her in the past week). They lived long and happy lives (91 and 93 y.o.), so I am just grateful for having enjoyed their company for so long.

I wanted to post a short tribute to my father, Ramón, as a photographer. He was an avid amateur photographer. He taught us (that is my brother and me) the basics of developing and enlarging in black and white, back around 1961. We were given a box camera as a birthday present in 1961, and later a Retina II which we used from ages 10 to 14 approximately. We also helped in his small business, developing tens of rolls each week, mostly 120 Verichrome Pan and equivalent films for customers, and doing contact prints and enlargements. This is how I started in photography and got my fluency with B&W film!

Here is Ramón in about 1970, holding tight his Contarex and carrying those heavy Zeiss lenses. The picture was taken by a friend of his, in the west area of Montevideo bay, close to the Cerro. Sorry for the poor focus, it is scanned from paper, and the original is not the best.

Ramon left a large negative archive, tens of thousands of frames of 35mm B&W. I will try to work with the archive, with the idea of scanning and cataloging, but it will take time. In the meanwhile, a few scanned from paper which he kept in a box - his "keepers", I guess.

I remember that Ramon won second or third place in national contests with these two shots, of which he was very proud.

Dog and cat (scanned from textured paper)

Portrait of Eulogio (I believe this to be a tour-de-force with KB14 and Beutler, which he was fond of for some time).

One of his shots that I like best is this portrait of his mother, taken around 1964. Grandma was a character indeed.

Ramon liked equipment, as most of us amateurs do, but he was not rich and chose very carefully. When buying a new main camera he always sold or traded his previous one, and he always bought used. I usually took his cameras from the closet to play with them, when Ramon was away, a behavior that did not help my skin condition in the area where you sit. He had a Leica, then a Retina Reflex, then a Contarex, then a Nikon. In his later years he used a film Canon P&S too, but after about 2000 his eyesight got worse, and he almost stopped taking pictures.

Besides photography and work, Ramon was an athlete who played pro soccer, including a brief stint in the national team (the Celeste) in 1942-44, which in my country is close to being a god, and a trial period in Gremio, in Brazil. He was a striker (the fabled #10), short (a little over 5 ft) but compensated with excellent ball handling, agility, speed, and a clear mind for the game. He would have made a fortune playing these days.

Ramon was also quite talkative, always telling stories. During his several periods in the hospital in the last few years, he enchanted every nurse with his tales.

Thanks for looking, I needed to do this post.

Brazile
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Ramón, 1921-2014

Post by Brazile »

Condolences for his passing, but what a wonderful small tribute to him...!

Robert
Dustin McAmera
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Dustin McAmera »

A good life! Sorry for your losses.
Dustin McAmera, Leeds, UK.
My flickr pages
Camera-wiki.org
Santiago Montenegro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Santiago Montenegro »

Heartfelt condolences, Julio. And thanks for the wonderful stories. You inspired me to (sometime) write about Juan, who like Ramón planted the seed of photography upon his son.
He's been gone 13 years now, and I still miss him every single day.
Martolod
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Martolod »

my condolences
Sharpness is a bourgeois concept ~ Cartier-Bresson
Dennis Gallus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Dennis Gallus »

Julio,

I am sorry to hear of your recent loss. One can see from your post that there was a very close bond between you and your father. You are fortunate that he left you so many reminders of himself and his talents in his photos.

I hope that you will continue to post some of your father's photos as you go through his archive.

Best regards, thoughts and prayers,
Dennis
Dennis Gallus
Hereford, Arizona USA
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by GrahamS »

Julio, I am very sorry for your loss. My father too, passed on his passion for photography to me and I am fortunate that he, and my mother, are still alive and doing well at 93 and 96. I think that Ramon and my father, Denis, would have enjoyed each other's company.
GrahamS
Age brings wisdom....or age shows up alone. You never know.
Philip
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Philip »

Julio, I too am sorry for your loss. But it is a wonderful picture you have painted of your father, and with lovely pictures. I think I especially like that picture of your grandmother with her accordion.

Philip

My Flickrs: http://www.flickr.com/flipflik (recent postings), or
- http://www.flickriver.com/photos/flipfl ... teresting/ (Flickr's calculation of my "most interesting" pics);
- http://www.flickr.com/photos/flipflik/s ... 879115542/ (what I like best).
OpenWater
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by OpenWater »

Julio,
Your tribute to your father made me wish that I had known him. I am sure that you will find a great deal of his essence in the negatives that he left you. I am sorry for your and your family's loss.
Mike
Madrigalrose
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Madrigalrose »

Thank you for sharing these, Julio. Handsome fellow, your dad. Awesome that you shared photography.
Very tough thing losing one's parents. My condolences.
Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you. - Satchel Paige