Seal it up...

Rollei, Mamiya, Hasselblad, Kowa, Minolta, Yashica and many, many others.
scott
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Seal it up...

Post by scott »

Jon Goodman is the man...

Imageseal01 by Scott, on Flickr

Imageseal02 by Scott, on Flickr

Imageseal03 by Scott, on Flickr

Something strangely satisfying about replacing seals...

So I now have two 120 backs for the Bronica SQ-A. I'mma let the adhesive dry and will load this back tomorrow and try it out. Like Christmas in July.

GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Re: Seal it up...

Post by GrahamS »

I used to get all of my camera seals and light traps from John, but haven't needed any for years. Glad to hear that he is still around. Do you have a contact link for him?
GrahamS
Age brings wisdom....or age shows up alone. You never know.
melek
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by melek »

Since about 2003, I've been using a product called "Foamies" that I bought at a craft store. I can buy it in 8x11 sheets, and I can re-foam 50 or 60 cameras per sheet.

Jon always seemed like a very stand-up guy, and I think that he provides a good product at a decent price.
-Mike Elek
scott
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by scott »

GrahamS wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:22 am
I used to get all of my camera seals and light traps from John, but haven't needed any for years. Glad to hear that he is still around. Do you have a contact link for him?
Graham, I bought these in 2018, which is crazy to me. He's no longer on eBay and I think has slowed down a lot in his business, but he (I think) can still be reached at jgood21967@aol.com.
melek wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:20 pm
Since about 2003, I've been using a product called "Foamies" that I bought at a craft store. I can buy it in 8x11 sheets, and I can re-foam 50 or 60 cameras per sheet.

Jon always seemed like a very stand-up guy, and I think that he provides a good product at a decent price.
I admit and accept that I took (and take) the easy way out WRT seals. I had to improvise a bit on a few though - there're some open cell foam corner seals on this that are small enough that the cut ones self destruct when you try to remove the adhesive backing. Time will tell if my band aid is good enough.
titrisol
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by titrisol »

Jon is semi-retired, last time I talked to him he was moving to Texas
He has an excellent product, and people began ripping him off, so he made the kits smaller

PS. I saw the title of your post, and began repeating it under Elvis Costello's music.... seal it up, until you can feel it... seal it up, when you don;t really need it....
If you can't fix it with a hammer... you got an electrical problem
even duct tape can't fix stupid.... but it can muffle it (SilentObserver)
My Flickr -ipernity
Thanks CE Nelson ;)
scott
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by scott »

titrisol wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:00 am
Jon is semi-retired, last time I talked to him he was moving to Texas
He has an excellent product, and people began ripping him off, so he made the kits smaller

PS. I saw the title of your post, and began repeating it under Elvis Costello's music.... seal it up, until you can feel it... seal it up, when you don;t really need it....
That doesn't really surprise me - when I contacted him he said he'd have to get the die out of storage to custom cut my kits. Sounded then like he'd pushed back from the business largely.

Ever see the video for Pump It Up? Interesting opening shot (and Elvis is a genius):
titrisol
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by titrisol »

I got introduced to Elvis Costello in the early 80s by a friend that had this album:
At the time, it didn;t get any air time. I recorded it unto tape with the other album (Get Happy) and I think I wore it off by having it on my walkman too much.
Pump it up was part of the album, but I preferred No action and I don't want to go to Chelsea. Until MTV gave pump-it-up a lot of air time.

Yes, Elvis Costello is a genius...
If you can't fix it with a hammer... you got an electrical problem
even duct tape can't fix stupid.... but it can muffle it (SilentObserver)
My Flickr -ipernity
Thanks CE Nelson ;)
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

I thought Jon was totally retired. I'll have to send him a note to see what he might have around already in stock. I used to be able to get sheets of foam already cut into various widths, but that vendor went out of business. Now you have to cut your own, and I don't think it is the same material as before.

PF
Waiting for the light
scott
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by scott »

Like I said, I ordered these kits in 2018 (apparently), so he may very well be completely out of the business by now. If you contact him please let us know what you find out.