Ansco Super Regent

Talk about rangefinder cameras, lenses and accessories.
scott
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Ansco Super Regent

Post by scott »

Hi, all -

Apparently I'm craving folders lately. Still fettling the Super Wester, and have a huge aversion to 135. That said, one of the few cameras I ever regretted selling was an Ansco Super Regent. Found this'n on eBay a couple weeks ago, but was too dear for me. Saved it anyway. Seller sent me an offer last week of almost 50% off (!!!). Thought about it, almost countered, then just pulled the trigger. Had asked to see some more images of the camera, as there was only one of the front, and literally no description. They never responded, but I decided to roll the dice.

Arrived today.
ImageIMG_5119 by Scott, on Flickr

ImageIMG_5120 by Scott, on Flickr

Camera is in very nice condition. Predictably, the helical is glued. Surprisingly, though, the Synchro Compur purrs nicely at all speeds. Came with an original manual, a case in very nice condition (will be soaking it in Bick 4), an HR flash gun, and four bulbs. When I started playing with it, the transport seemed locked. Couldn't budge it, but could feel it had film in it. Messed with it for a good long while, then gave up, pulled the film in a darkened closet and wound it up. Then - guess what - the transport all worked fine. Double exposure prevention works great, release works great. Clean as hell. Need to check the bellows yet. But not bad.

A little lagniappe: The film in the camera
ImageIMG_5121 by Scott, on Flickr

And the batteries in the flash
ImageIMG_5124 by Scott, on Flickr

So, we leave on our trip in about 2.5 weeks. Need to get either this, and/or the Super Wester, working and tested before then. At least one is coming with. At this point, I think I'd be happy with either one. I've wanted another Super Regent for more than a decade, and I'm very happy with this one so far.

Last folder on the list right now - a Retina II. Stay tuned...

Scott

titrisol
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Ansco Super Regent

Post by titrisol »

Lovely super-solinette / super-regent
Congrats!

Does the case have the filter compartment? are the filters in there?
If you can't fix it with a hammer... you got an electrical problem
even duct tape can't fix stupid.... but it can muffle it (SilentObserver)
My Flickr -ipernity
Thanks CE Nelson ;)
scott
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by scott »

titrisol wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2024 10:55 am
Lovely super-solinette / super-regent
Congrats!

Does the case have the filter compartment? are the filters in there?
It does, but they are not. Was very hopeful they would be, but no joy.
titrisol
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by titrisol »

Those helicoids are a pain, I was lucky that mine was extended (3ft position) and was able to clean the helicoid with cotton swabs and acetone
Then applied PMF's favorite (PB BLaster) a drop at a time until it loosened , then added silicone grease
It isnt buttery smooth but works OK

viewtopic.php?t=1896
There is a Chris Sherlock video in there with helicoid cleaning
My Flickr -ipernity
Thanks CE Nelson ;)
scott
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by scott »

Most recent Speedex Special R I bought (which is still waiting on me to install the magenta bellows from Sandeha) had the two front cells absolutely GLUED together. I ended up soaking them in PB Blaster for probably six weeks before they just started to move in a slightly perceptible way. They eventually came apart and are smooth now. I’m hoping the same stuff works on this helical.
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Julio1fer »

Scott, nothing agains the Super Regent or the Solinette, but if you can get a Retina II, go for it. My personal favorite among the illustrious Retina series.
scott
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by scott »

Julio1fer wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2024 9:14 pm
Scott, nothing agains the Super Regent or the Solinette, but if you can get a Retina II, go for it. My personal favorite among the illustrious Retina series.
Definitely. I’ve got searches running on eBay. Had a couple years ago and love the II. Apparently sliding down this rabbit hole again.
scott
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by scott »

Julio1fer wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2024 9:14 pm
Okay, I might have done a thing… :o
titrisol
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by titrisol »

Solinettes are interesting, nice pocketable cameras.

AGFA Super Solinette, ANSCO Super Regent, AGFA Solinette-II. All with Solinar 50/3.5 lenses
The Solinette has a Prontor SVS B,1-300 while the Supers have Synchro Compurs B,1-500
My Flickr -ipernity
Thanks CE Nelson ;)
scott
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by scott »

Is the Solinette II the same as the Regent? I had it in my head a Regent was analogous to the Solinette. Very nice collection!