Picking up an old friend...

Talk about single-lens reflex cameras, lenses and accessories.
scott
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Picking up an old friend...

Post by scott »

Hi, all -

It's no surprise - I've been selling off gear. Have it in my head I need an RB67. I was rifling through drawers today to see what else could go and I pulled out the Spotmatic. I spent a number of years picking up lenses, and have a pretty full compliment - 28, 35, 55, 58, 135, and 200. All Pentax glass, except the 58/2 which is a Helios 44-2 (thanks, Sandeha!). I have a strong aversion to the 135 format in general, but dammit, I love this camera.

Recently sold off my stock of Fuji 160 Pro film, thinking I'd never shoot the format again. Found some Rite Aid 400 in the drawer; the Spotty is loaded up and ready to go now.

I did look on eBay for the one lens I never picked up but always pined for - a 24/3.5. Holy crap! Takumar 24s are going for a premium these days. Looks like I will continue to covet that lens, 'cause I ain't buying anytime soon.

Anyway, be looking for some pictures soon.

Scott

PFMcFarland

Re: Picking up an old friend...

Post by PFMcFarland »

Yeah, there's another run on legacy lenses, mostly from digicam fanboys wanting some bokeh (try buying an f1.4 lens now).

PF
Waiting for the light
BurninFilm

Post by BurninFilm »

Looking forward to the pictures!

Yeah, just about any f1.4 lens from any major manufacturer can bring at least $50 if in usable condition. Some of the higher-rated f2.0ish lenses can get some good prices too, but it seems most people have moved on to the larger aperture lenses. Heck, I had an old f1.2 Canon SLR lens with some lens element separation in the rear group, and it still brought about $100.
LarryD
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by LarryD »

I have a few I will never part with as the price offered will never replace the memories of me using them in low light conditions. I sold off a lot of gear but I will never give up my 1.4's and my Spiratone 135mm 1.8.
If we all saw the world the same no one would need a camera.
scott
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by scott »

Ugh. Finished the roll of Rite Aid 400 this afternoon. Stopped by the local CVS, and their machine is gone. Same with the local Costco. Local color processing and scanning was the only reason I'd consider shooting 135 at all. Now I have to mail out the last roll I have. Scanning 135 is a PITA, so I generally avoid B&W. Drat. I really enjoy shooting the Spottie.
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

Try this place, Scott. It's fairly close to you for mailing purposes. Rentavet likes their service.

http://www.yorkphoto.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PF
Waiting for the light
scott
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by scott »

Thanks, Phil. I emailed - they only process 35mm, and I have several rolls of 120 C41 and E6 and a roll of 220 C41 (I have no idea when it's from or what's on it, and haven't had a 200 camera in many, many years) I want done, too. York is sending me to Dwayne's, and their prices seem reasonable, so I'll be sending the rolls off presently.