Punta del Este, the harbor

Often simply written as "W/NW" - your favorite photos. Explain them, or let your photos (film or digital) speak for themselves.
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Punta del Este, the harbor

Post by Julio1fer »

I took a Nikon FE that came from my father's state to the harbor in Punta del Este, for testing. This place is an upscale one, comparable to Cape Cod. Even in winter there are tourists around.

As you can imagine I went straight to the fishing dock. There are nice subjects there.

At some point, there was a thick fog. Fishermen and their helpers clean the fish right in the dock, which brings a lot of seagulls.

And seawolfs, too. This is a crop. The guy was moving lazily, waiting for something to fall into the water.

Boat owners were not keen to go to the ocean in the fog.

The FE is a serious camera. I took the 50, 28 and 43-86 lenses. The zoom was handy but I really like the 28mm.

Dennis Gallus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Punta del Este, the harbor

Post by Dennis Gallus »

Hello, Julio,

As has always been the case, you excel at the water's edge. This is a great series. My favorite is #4, but #6 is a close second. For both images, the fog seems to separate the real world of gulls and docks and boats from the less certain, more dream-like world beyond.

Your black and white results are very snappy. You did well on exposure, development and printing (or scanning). I hope to see more posts like this.

Best regards,
Dennis
Dennis Gallus
Hereford, Arizona USA
minoly
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by minoly »

I enjoyed these photos as both documentary and dramatic. Fog is tricky, I believe, but you have captured it well. The photos convey what it must feel like at the Punta del Este harbor on a foggy day--that's a big accomplishment, I think. Thanks for posting them here.

Bill Delehanty
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

Great shots of the harbor as always, Julio. The Nikon FM and FE were my favorites too a long time ago when I had one of each. Very useful cameras, without a lot of bells and whistles.

PF
Waiting for the light
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Julio1fer »

Thanks for the comments, Dennis, Bill and PF. I do not know why I take so many pictures near the water's edge, but I enjoy doing it. The trick with fog is to find something close that you can get sharp enough, so that it makes a difference with the blurry background.

I should try the 135mm next time.
titrisol
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by titrisol »

The FE is a really beautiful machine!
If you have the 28/2.8 Ai or Ais , i dare to say that is the best 28mm lens form the era

Muy buenas fotos!
If you can't fix it with a hammer... you got an electrical problem
even duct tape can't fix stupid.... but it can muffle it (SilentObserver)
My Flickr -ipernity
Thanks CE Nelson ;)