Road to Roxby

Often simply written as "W/NW" - your favorite photos. Explain them, or let your photos (film or digital) speak for themselves.
Martolod
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Road to Roxby

Post by Martolod »

Whistling Kites on Thermals

been trying for some years to find these.Sturt Desert Peas.they are Rare but when conditions are right, they carpet the Desert as far as the eye can see...
they are also the South Australian State Flower

Size indicator

..as far to go home......

....as i have come..

Sharpness is a bourgeois concept ~ Cartier-Bresson
Martolod
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Road to Roxby

Post by Martolod »

we got Mesas.....OLD Mesas.......

You expecting Kangaroos or something?......it's a sheep Station, the size of Luxemburg....and the Roo's come out at Sunset...

Southern Flinders at Sunset @ 110klicks.
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

Great set of photos, Kallie. They just ran a series on our PBS station about Australia's first four billion years, and your shots puts a lot of it in perspective, with the very weathered mesas, and the forever flats.

PF
Waiting for the light
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Julio1fer »

Great shots. The flowers and open spaces are very inviting.

We have a similar series of mesas somewhere in the Tambores area, I should make a trip there and document.
OpenWater
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by OpenWater »

These are fascinating, especially the desert peas. In the midst of such an apparently barren place, the plant has spent a great deal of energy to extravagantly advertise itself to a potential pollinator. One wonders why the advertisement is needed.

Several years ago we were in Australia and among other places went to what the travel people called the near Outback. Part of the trip in that region was a very strange and interesting night in an underground motel in White Cliffs. We went to a great many places, but one of the very vivid memories that I have is how truly empty much of it was. I grew up in the western United States but I was not prepared to drive for three hours and not see a single structure - not a shed, not a lean-to. In this century, that was amazing.
Martolod
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Martolod »

White Cliffs...now that is about as from anywhere as you can get.
a few years ago my son and a I drove to Broken Hill, then went across to Silverton ( where Mad Max was filmed ) and decided to shoot up to White Cliffs. it had rained about a fortnight before and the roads were still closed, so we could not get through. when it rains out there, it REALLY rains. :shock: . took aver 3 weeks before the roads were passable again.
Santiago Montenegro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Santiago Montenegro »

Beautiful, Kalle.
OpenWater
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by OpenWater »

Martolod wrote:White Cliffs...now that is about as from anywhere as you can get.
a few years ago my son and a I drove to Broken Hill, then went across to Silverton ( where Mad Max was filmed ) and decided to shoot up to White Cliffs. it had rained about a fortnight before and the roads were still closed, so we could not get through. when it rains out there, it REALLY rains. :shock: . took aver 3 weeks before the roads were passable again.
We got to Silverton as well. It was winter when we were there - I'm not sure if that is the dry or wet season, but it didn't rain! Anyway, it also is a very cool little (very little) town. I especially liked the hills and gullies in the area. I think we were in Broken Hill, but I'll have to check. You're inspiring me to dig out my photos and scan some of them.