Highlander Games with the Canon Sure Shot Classic 120

You point and then you shoot. Some are inexpensive. Some are very expensive.
PFMcFarland

Highlander Games with the Canon Sure Shot Classic 120

Post by PFMcFarland »

Kodak Gold 100 (exp 03/06)

Caber Trailer by br1078phot, on Flickr
Used to haul the cabers (tree trunks tossed so that their top hits the ground first, then they are graded on how straight it falls from the thrower), and all the other items used in the games.

The Bar by br1078phot, on Flickr
Where things get tossed over, such as the sheaf, a twelve pound burlap sack.

Tossing The Sheaf 1 by br1078phot, on Flickr
A twelve pound burlap sack is tossed for height. This participant was just practicing.

Here is where the camera decided it will no longer focus when the zoom is racked all the way out.

Tossing The Sheaf 2 by br1078phot, on Flickr

Stone Put 1 by br1078phot, on Flickr
I almost got this one at the right time, as you can just see the stone exiting the frame on the right.

Stone Put 2 by br1078phot, on Flickr
I got this one just a bit early. That's the problem with using an old P&S camera, as there was a bit of lag time on the shutter release, and timing the action is mostly guesswork.

This is my first year at the games, so next time I'll go prepared with better equipment. I lost a dozen shots on this roll due to the focus malfunction. I’m giving up on using the Classic 120 anymore (this being the fourth one I had fail on me), and will switch to the Z135 which is a bit more robust. It’s too bad, as the 120 has such a nice lens, and some really unique features.

PF
Last edited by PFMcFarland on Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Waiting for the light
minoly
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Highlander Games with the Canon Sure Shot Classic 120

Post by minoly »

Phil,

That's a very interesting event to document and you got some good shots in spite of the camera problems. Pretty demanding game, I'd say, especially if there's logs involved, too.

Bill Delehanty
Dennis Gallus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Highlander Games with the Canon Sure Shot Classic 120

Post by Dennis Gallus »

Interesting subject, Phil. I can feel your pain, having to deal with shutter lag.
Dennis Gallus
Hereford, Arizona USA