Blue Heron

Often simply written as "W/NW" - your favorite photos. Explain them, or let your photos (film or digital) speak for themselves.
PFMcFarland

Blue Heron

Post by PFMcFarland »

I've finally captured some photos of a Blue Heron. Usually, the only time I see one is when I either don’t have a camera with me, or I scare one up from the creek bed. This one was at our drainage catchment pond on the hill where I live, and I saw it as I was heading out to get some fall foliage photos.

I did make sure the camera was on Daylight WB, but in my rush forgot to change the ISO and Compensation settings, so I had to do some work in post to get decent images. I tried to move slowly enough as to not spook the bird, but it wanted to keep some distance from me, so it started moving towards the far end of the pond. I did not press the issue, and used the digital zoom extension to get a bit closer, but it would have been nice to have had at least 300mm to work with.

Down At The Pond by br1078phot, on Flickr

Wary by br1078phot, on Flickr

I’ll Just Mosey On Over Here by br1078phot, on Flickr

Moving Away by br1078phot, on Flickr

Now Quit Bothering Me by br1078phot, on Flickr

PF

Waiting for the light
BillyBob
Amateur
Amateur

Re: Blue Heron

Post by BillyBob »

Nice, Phil.

Beautiful, elegant, creatures. Occasionally I'm lucky enough to catch sight of one (today, for the first time ever, TWO) in the canal when I'm biking to work.

Bill
Philip
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Philip »

Nice work, Phil.
Blue herons are a rarity in these parts. Once every five or ten years one will show up and it makes the local newspapers. You got good shots of yours!
My Flickrs: http://www.flickr.com/flipflik (recent postings), or
- http://www.flickriver.com/photos/flipfl ... teresting/ (Flickr's calculation of my "most interesting" pics);
- http://www.flickr.com/photos/flipflik/s ... 879115542/ (what I like best).
Nancy B
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Nancy B »

Good capture. They are very hard to find and even harder to see, they blend in so well with their surroundings. I

I stalked one in High Park, in Toronto, one summer. I would ride my bike over to one of the ponds in the park every day, and join a group of retired gentleman who were doing the same thing as me. I did manage to eventually get a good shot of the Heron. I was calling him Henry, until one of my new friends said it was a female, so she became Henrietta! I still find it amazing that she was able to be quite comfortable in the middle of a big city park!

Photography is a form of time travel.

Neil deGrasse Tyson