Kodak 35RF Camera Test

Talk about rangefinder cameras, lenses and accessories.
PFMcFarland

Kodak 35RF Camera Test

Post by PFMcFarland »

I finally got one of these steam-punk beauties with the Anastigmat Special. I like it!

Fluffy Sky, by br1078phot, on Flickr

Canyon Entrance, by br1078phot, on Flickr

Tilted, by br1078phot, on Flickr

In The Middle, by br1078phot, on Flickr

Old Favorite, by br1078phot, on Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/7699588@N ... 726386233/
Link above to the complete album.

PF

Waiting for the light
jamesmck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Kodak 35RF Camera Test

Post by jamesmck »

I really like these, Phil, and the others on Flickr. Nice and sharp, and colors are pleasing. I have one of these beasts, but have never gotten around to use it. It's yours if you have any interest.
--- James
James McKearney
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

Well, it would be nice to know if the sprocket chomping is endemic, or just an isolated case on mine. Sure, James, PM me the details.

PF
Last edited by PFMcFarland on Sun May 18, 2014 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting for the light
Todd G

Post by Todd G »

"sprocket chomping" - If you're referring to what I think you are, I suspect this is common as these age. I've had three over the years, still have two of them. Only ran film through one. All had or would have had this problem to a degree. I think it comes from the sprocket axle tensioning the shutter as the camera is wound. As they age the lubrication on the linkage must get gummy and stiff. Trying to wind the sprocket axle with your thumb, with the back off, to imitate film going through the camera will tell you just how stiff the linkage is. The non-RF models would have had this same issue, except for the f/5.6 model that didn't tension the shutter as it was wound.

BTW - the one you have must have been from the first year of production, 1940, based on the "EY" on the lens' serial number. Pre-war ones looked a little shinier, probably due to more chrome used.
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

Thanks for the info, Todd. The chrome on this one is more of a mat finish, which I like, though the rangefinder leverage cover seems a bit brighter.

PF
Waiting for the light
BurninFilm

Post by BurninFilm »

I posted this over at Nelsonfoto, but thought I'd stick it up here as well with a few additions:

The Kodak 35RF uses the sprocket holes to turn the a sprocket wheel (that engages a geared shaft, which engages a geared ring around the shutter, which has a lever that engages the shutter cocking lever) that resets the shutter, and if the film is too thin or the related mechanics need CLAd, then the torn out film holes will be the result. The design of the camera relies entirely on the film being strong enough to turn the wheel, which has quite a bit of resistance. I've had good luck lubricating the parts that reset the shutter, which usually alleviated most of the problem. Be sure to wind the film rather slowly while is gets the shutter reset, to help relieve the stress on the sprocket holes.

The Kodak 35RF has a great lens, whether it's the Kodak Anastigmat Special or the later Anastar. These camera get a bad reputation for being junk (which is totally understandable), but if you can find one that works reliably and has a clean lens, they are capable of creating sharp, high quality images. One of my best performing vintage cameras was an early 1950s Kodak 35RF with the Anastar. Neat little cameras, but very primitive in design and not the most reliable machine ever made.

You probably already knew most of this, but figured I'd throw it out there just in case.
tadas

Post by tadas »

I forget where I read this (one of Matanle's books, maybe?) but I always chuckled at the thought that the Kodak 35RF "looks like it was designed by a blacksmith"......
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Julio1fer »

A good test. The lens is surprisingly good at these apertures. I have never handled one of these. and the looks of the camera are not encouraging.
melek
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by melek »

From left: Kodak 35, Kodak 35 RF and the Kodak Signet 35.

This was one of my earliest cameras when I started needlessly buying/collecting/hoarding. It's the ugly stepchild of the Kodak family. Its sibling, the non-rangefinder Kodak 35, uses the same sprocket wheel to tension the shutter.

Both feature the unfinished satin chrome combined with a bakelite body. You've done much better than me. I've used my Kodak 35. It didn't tear the film, but the photos were only so-so - perhaps a reflection of my own abilities.

My Kodak book says the 35 RF was intended to compete with the Argus C-3 "Brick," but it wasn't successful.

There were three variants of the Kodak 35 RF:
  • 1940-48 with the Anastigmat Special and Kodamatic shutter for US$48;
  • 1946-48 with the Anastigmat Special and a Flash Kodamatic shutter for US$75;
  • 1947-51 with the Anastar and a Flash Kodamatic shutter for US$75.
It was mercifully put to death (my comment) in 1951 and replaced with the Signet 35.
-Mike Elek