Do any members do repairs? Yashica Lynx 14

Share your advice about camera repair or ask a question.
tadas

Do any members do repairs? Yashica Lynx 14

Post by tadas »

I know Dean Williams retired. Do any current members do repairs on classic cameras? I got a Yashica Lynx 14, with the f 1:1.4 lens and Copal SVE shutter. It does click when you advance the lever and press the shutter button, just like the eBay seller said. Unfortunately, the shutter doesn't operate when that happens.

Suggestions?

PFMcFarland

Re: Do any members do repairs? Yashica Lynx 14

Post by PFMcFarland »

I did a little bit of work on mine, but mostly under the hood. The shutter worked fine, so I didn't bother with it. I did open up the front to see what the situation was with the meter wipers, and it wasn't good, so I just closed it back up, and shot it as a Sunny-16 model. https://flic.kr/s/aHsjz8CrmK" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; While you're there, you can check out my other repair jobs. Some are more involved than others, but you'll get the idea of what needs to be done.

I would think your camera needs the shutter cleaned. And not just the speed escapement mechanism, but the blades too. Sounds like they are stuck from some lubrication getting on them. Removal of the lens/shutter assembly from the body will need to be done to get at all the places that have to be cleaned. Sure, you'll see where someone says that all they did was drip some lighter fluid into the shutter, and it sprang back to life. But that usually only lasts a short while before it starts sticking again. Trust me, I found out for myself trying to do a quickie on another leaf shutter model.

PF
Waiting for the light
LarryD
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by LarryD »

Lighter fluid works for some not that. ;)
If we all saw the world the same no one would need a camera.
jamesmck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by jamesmck »

Mark Hama (http://www.markhama.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) did a good job on mine some years ago.
James McKearney