Glasgow (No, the one in Virginia)

Often simply written as "W/NW" - your favorite photos. Explain them, or let your photos (film or digital) speak for themselves.
PFMcFarland

Glasgow (No, the one in Virginia)

Post by PFMcFarland »

Glasgow, VA is where the Maury River empties into the James at Balcony Falls. NS and CSXT both have main lines running through the town, and the old North River Navigation Company canal system started here on its way to Lexington.

Olympus 35RC with Fujichrome Sensia 100, and Zeiss Ikonta 524/16 with Kodak T-Max 100.

Canal Works by br1078phot, on Flickr
Part of the North River Navigation system that used to run along the Maury River from Glasgow to Lexington, VA.

Not sure that this was a lock, as it is much smaller than the one at the US-60 Ben Salem Wayside. It may be a water control structure since this is close to the end of the system, and to Balcony Falls.

Glasgow Video and Outdoors by br1078phot, on Flickr
Sallings Mountain looms over the town of Glasgow, VA where the Maury River empties into the James at Balcony Falls a mile or so downstream from here.

The railroad tracks that are between where I'm standing, and the outfitters is a connector for CSXT and NS trains to interchange freight. I heard a train horn as I took this shot, and thought I'd get a bonus with the train coming into view. Even saw the ditch lights flashing in the distance. But as I listened to the engineer whistle each crossing, I came to realize he was on the NS line, and would be clear on the other side of town. I'm not a train chaser, so I let it go

Maury River Panoramic by br1078phot, on Flickr
From atop the Rt-130 bridge leading into Glasgow, VA. A four shot stitch.

The main channel of the Maury River goes on into the distance, while a flood channel comes in from the right, just behind the stand of trees. Most of it was dry when this photo was taken, but you can see a pool in the upper end of the channel. It wouldn't take more than a foot or two to cut off the land just beyond the channel, so if you would like to fish from the bank there, you'd be wise to check the upstream weather reports.

Disturbed Force by br1078phot, on Flickr

PF

Waiting for the light
LarryD
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Glasgow (No, the one in Virginia)

Post by LarryD »

One in Kentucky too. Just last week I went to Paris. Tennessee that is. ;)
If we all saw the world the same no one would need a camera.
Bennybee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Bennybee »

So no pipers then...?
Mike Kovacs

Post by Mike Kovacs »

You may take our lives, but you will never take the real Glasglow :p

LarryD
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by LarryD »

:shock:
If we all saw the world the same no one would need a camera.
jamesmck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by jamesmck »

Lovely shots, Phil (especially the panorama).
James McKearney