The N&W 611 Returns!

Often simply written as "W/NW" - your favorite photos. Explain them, or let your photos (film or digital) speak for themselves.
PFMcFarland

The N&W 611 Returns!

Post by PFMcFarland »

Built in the Roanoke, VA Norfolk and Western Railroad’s East End Shops in 1950, the J Class 611 4-8-4 returned to Roanoke under it’s own power for the first time in twenty years after a one year overhaul in the Spencer, NC shops of the North Carolina Transportation Museum.

These four photos are from my time waiting for it to pass by the crossing at Bonsack, VA, taken with the Nikon P7700. The film photos are still in the Nikon N90s, and I’ll have to finish the roll before taking it to the lab.

Moving The Coal by P F McFarland, on Flickr
Still have to make money to pay for the “Twentyfirst Century Steam” program.

The Crossing At Bonsack by P F McFarland, on Flickr
The three engine coal drag hits the crossing at a decent speed for going upgrade.

The Crowd Gathers by P F McFarland, on Flickr
I figured there were around 150 people that came to watch the 611 go by. Someone else who set up closer to the crossing said it was over two hundred. That probably takes into account the chasers that always show up at the last second.

The View I Wanted by P F McFarland, on Flickr
This would have been fantastic, but it’s less than four feet from the live track the train will be coming down, and within the crossing gates. Not a good spot to be.

There are also three videos, and a couple other outtakes that you can see at the link below. I’ll be adding the film shots at a later date, so check back in a few days.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsk9nYkpY

PF

Waiting for the light
PFMcFarland

Re: The N&W 611 Returns! Updated 060415

Post by PFMcFarland »

More shots from the film camera this time (Nikon N90s/Tamron AF28~200mm:3.8-5.6 ASPH LD (IF)/my last roll of Kodak ProFoto XL 100).

Video Rig by P F McFarland, on Flickr
I set up my digital camera (Nikon P7700) beside the storage track, with plans to get down low next to it for the film shots.

Northern Catalpa Flowers by P F McFarland, on Flickr
A pretty sight trackside. One can’t look at steel and stone all day long.

Trackside House by P F McFarland, on Flickr
Nice patriotic folks who didn't have to go far to see the show.

Steel Cone by P F McFarland, on Flickr
Looking like it fell off an alien pine tree, this slag remnant from a rail grinder train lies between the rails of the storage track, where the grinder train would park during the last maintenance cycle.

Magnificence On The Rails by P F McFarland, on Flickr
I'm glad I also shot a video, because when you are concentrating on getting a shot like this, one doesn't get the chance to really enjoy the sheer beauty of such a wonderful machine in action.

PF
Waiting for the light
minoly
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: The N&W 611 Returns!

Post by minoly »

Phil, Good work on that moment of RR history. Judging from the date of mfr, 611 must have been one of the most advanced steam locomotives built?
Bill D.
PFMcFarland

Re: The N&W 611 Returns!

Post by PFMcFarland »

minoly wrote:Phil, Good work on that moment of RR history. Judging from the date of mfr, 611 must have been one of the most advanced steam locomotives built?
Bill D.
They don't call her the "Queen of Steam" for nothing, Bill. It could haul those 17 cars upgrade at 105mph with no problem.

PF
Waiting for the light