Dagny Taggart

Often simply written as "W/NW" - your favorite photos. Explain them, or let your photos (film or digital) speak for themselves.
minoly
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Dagny Taggart

Post by minoly »

About 3 weeks ago I posted photos of two rail passenger cars parked at the former Amtrak station in St. Paul. Since then I've driven by again and stopped for a few photos. The one in this post is a stainless steel bodied car that really stands out. The horizontal ribs seem to be there for the"streamlined" look and some added strength.

I chose the angle in the next photo to show the car's name. I've never read Atlas Shrugged so I didn't recognize that Dagny Taggart is a character in that book. Maybe that's another story: how this railroad car got its name.

A quick check didn't find much about this car besides its origin as a NY Central observation car and fairly recent ownership by a man in Upstate New York who was also a noted model train enthusiast. There are a few letters online from that owner's daughter and people who knew him through the model train connection.

Kodak Gold 200 in Minolta Maxxum 5. Processor's Scans. Bill Delehanty.

PFMcFarland

Re: Dagny Taggart

Post by PFMcFarland »

This was probably pulled by a streamlined Hudson when it was new, Bill. The owner is likely also a big fan of Ayn Rand.

PF
Waiting for the light
minoly
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Dagny Taggart

Post by minoly »

Phil, I think I saw that very Hudson in a tent at our county fair in 1948 (couldn't have been '49 because we weren't allowed to go to the fiar because of polio epidemic; don't think it was '50) . It was all sweep...maybe we even had to pay to see it? Bill D.