Harbor and beach

Often simply written as "W/NW" - your favorite photos. Explain them, or let your photos (film or digital) speak for themselves.
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Harbor and beach

Post by Julio1fer »

Dedicated to the many members who suffer the cold weather in the wrong hemisphere at this time of the year.

During vacations I did some B&W with a Nikon FE that came from my late father (with 55mm and 28mm lenses) and my trusty Minolta Autocord, both burning Pan F+.

A failed attempt to stop sand dunes in the beach made an interesting subject for the Autocord

The single rainy day in our vacations, good for B&W in the new Piriapolis harbor with the FE.

I am still getting used to the Nikon way, coming from decades on Pentax. Their lenses twist in the wrong direction! But the sharpness and contrast is impressive, that 55mm is a piece of work.

Bad water and high temperatures caused some marks in the negs, tried to rescue by washing in distilled water with limited success.

Thanks for looking!

PFMcFarland

Re: Harbor and beach

Post by PFMcFarland »

Hey, I'm not jealous of your weather. I kind of like the times without mosquitoes. Some lovely pics there, Julio. Did you flip the "Dunes" one around from what it is on Flickr?

PF
Waiting for the light
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by GrahamS »

Julio, thanks for posting these very "warming" images. The Nikon FE is one of my all-time favorite cameras. I used one for many years. The lens that you are using, being a 55mm, must be the 55mm f2.8 Micro-NIKKOR macro lens. While it makes very good general images, it is optimised for distances between 25cm and 50cm, where it really shines. Your photo of the fishing boats reminds me of a similar photo that I took with my Nikon FE and 50mm f2 NIKKOR-H lens in Hout Bay harbour near Cape Town, in 1981. Film was Kodak Ektachrome 64.
Attachments
HB_Harbour_4-_Web.jpg
GrahamS
Age brings wisdom....or age shows up alone. You never know.
jamesmck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by jamesmck »

Love that fence, Julio.
James McKearney
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Julio1fer »

Thanks for the comments! PF, the one on Flickr is a different fence (although in the same beach).

Graham, nice one in the harbor. Looks like my kind of place.

Indeed this lens is the Micro Nikkor. I also did an example at closer distances in the same light:

I wanted to try the 55 because I almost had not used it before, and also because I expected to photograph insects (which I did not).

My late father did a lot of reproduction work, maybe he got the Micro Nikkor for that purpose. The lens has a nice feature, a hood built in in the lens.
Bennybee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Bennybee »

That first picture with the fence in the sand is TOP ! I like it very much.
P C Headland
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by P C Headland »

I like that fence shot - man's puny efforts against the might of mother nature.

Here's a couple of others for those snowed under:

Yep, that sand is black, and yes, that sand is pretty hot. Hot enough to feel it through your summer footware. Shot on one of the many black sand beaches in the Taranaki region (west coast, North Island).

(Xperia Z2)
jamesmck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by jamesmck »

Julio1fer wrote: I also did an example at closer distances in the same light
That close-up is wonderful.
-- James
James McKearney
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Julio1fer »

Thanks for the comments! PC, those are nice shots. I've seen black sand beaches in Chile, also in the Pacific coast. I guess it is the volcanic activity.