Mystery Compound in Redscale

Often simply written as "W/NW" - your favorite photos. Explain them, or let your photos (film or digital) speak for themselves.
PFMcFarland

Mystery Compound in Redscale

Post by PFMcFarland »

Driving around Floyd County, VA one day, I happened across this place with numbered buildings. It’s some sort of school, or religious camp is all I can come up with. I’ll have to go back someday and chat up the neighbors to get its history.

Photographed in Redscale on Kodak Hawkeye Surveillance ti2420 in a Canon AF35M.

Compound Panorama by P F McFarland, on Flickr

Bell and Chimney by P F McFarland, on Flickr

789 South Side by P F McFarland, on Flickr

See all eight photos at https://flic.kr/s/aHskuyUSmR

PF

Waiting for the light
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Re: Mystery Compound in Redscale

Post by GrahamS »

Who makes Kodak Hawkeye Surveillance ti2420? Kodak? If so, where? Is it current or old stock? Just curious. I would like to see an image taken on it in the normal way. Have you got any, Phil?
GrahamS
Age brings wisdom....or age shows up alone. You never know.
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

GrahamS wrote:Who makes Kodak Hawkeye Surveillance ti2420? Kodak? If so, where? Is it current or old stock? Just curious. I would like to see an image taken on it in the normal way. Have you got any, Phil?
Someone was selling a load of it on eBay a few years back, but I haven't seen much of it since. It was all old stock then, probably from some towns' traffic control department switching to digital cameras. A friend of mine wound up some spools for me, along with half of a 100ft can.

The reason it's usually done in redscale is because the aging color shift makes it pretty much useless for anything else. You can always take any 400 speed color film, and re-spool it yourself if you want to try redscale, Graham. I usually shoot it at 25 ISO, but 50 is okay in bright light. It's then developed normally.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redscale

PF
Waiting for the light
LarryD
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by LarryD »

I got some of that that had been frozen. It had a nice saturated color but it aged real fast. I think it had extended IR and those dyes did not have a good shelf life.

One of the better films I found to Red scale was the ISO-800 Portra. I tried it from 50-400 with 100-125 being what I wanted.
If we all saw the world the same no one would need a camera.
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Julio1fer »

Interesting subject, PF.

I knew nothing about the redscale thing.
LarryD
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by LarryD »

Shooting through the back side. I accidentally did it once when I bulk rolled some film. I never thought it would catch on and now Lomography and others sell it that way.
If we all saw the world the same no one would need a camera.