Microsoft OneDrive keeps getting smaller

Accessories, tripods, the future of digital and other topics that don't fit within one of the other categories.
melek
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Microsoft OneDrive keeps getting smaller

Post by melek »

Just received this notice today:
Changes to OneDrive
We want to let you know about some upcoming changes to OneDrive. On August 10, 2016, the amount of storage that comes with OneDrive will change from 15 GB to 5 GB. We are also discontinuing the 15 GB camera roll bonus. You can learn more at our FAQ.

There is no action you need to take, because your OneDrive account is currently below the new storage limits. Even though you aren't currently affected, we want to keep you updated on all important changes to OneDrive. If you'd like to check your account, you can visit the Storage page.

We realize these are big changes to a service you rely on. We want to apologize for any inconvenience they may cause you. We made a difficult decision, but it's one that will let us sustainably operate OneDrive into the future.

Thank you for using OneDrive.

– The OneDrive Team
So, in a very short time, it went from unlimited to 15GB to 5GB.

I don't have anything on OneDrive, because of Microsoft's policy of scanning the contents of your files and rejecting anything that its nanny filter finds objectionable. I find that practice objectionable.

No one is forcing me to use it, so I don't.

I expect them to shut it down soon. By the way, OneDrive for Business is really Sharepoint, a truly horrible, slow online storage system.

-Mike Elek
PFMcFarland

Re: Microsoft OneDrive keeps getting smaller

Post by PFMcFarland »

Ah, the cloud. Full of pollutants, hail stones, and static electricity. That's why I don't use One Drive.

Now that Marissa Mayer is on her way out at Yahoo! (with a nice $55,000,000 going away present), it will be interesting to see what happens over at Flickr with their "free" 1 terabyte of storage.

PF
Waiting for the light