Posting photos

'The F Stops Here' - What's New, plus comments and questions about the forums.
jamesmck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Posting photos

Post by jamesmck »

That's a good solution. I hate scrollbars.
-- James

James McKearney
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

That's worse, Mike, because now I only see half the photo when it is enlarged.

PF

Waiting for the light
melek
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by melek »

I did see that if you pressed the magnifying glass, you only see a portion of the photo. Although if you right click and open the link in a new tab, you get to see the entire image.

I think that I'll investigate more and see if there is a "Lightbox" style display for oversized photos.

-Mike Elek
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

Or maybe expand the viewing area to 800 pixels on the long side. It's either that, or I guess I'll just start loading smaller images.

PF

Waiting for the light
AdminPTF
Amateur
Amateur

Post by AdminPTF »

Today, I made some changes to the board, which hopefully takes care of this. Clicking on the smaller window will show the entire image in a popup. You can then use your browser's scrollbars to move horizontally or vertically to view the entire image.

I think that to get the full impact of a photo, you want to scroll as little as possible. I probably would try to not allow images to be too wide or too deep.

jamesmck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by jamesmck »

AdminPTF wrote:Today, I made some changes to the board, which hopefully takes care of this. Clicking on the smaller window will show the entire image in a popup. You can then use your browser's scrollbars to move horizontally or vertically to view the entire image.

I think that to get the full impact of a photo, you want to scroll as little as possible. I probably would try to not allow images to be too wide or too deep.
Maybe I am missing something, but I don't care for this at all.

James McKearney
AdminPTF
Amateur
Amateur

Post by AdminPTF »

This is a win-lose situation. Some will like it. Some won't. I wish there was a situation that would satisfy everyone, but in this case, I don't think that there is.

I made the max width on photos 800 pixels, so that should make a difference. Of course, now there are mobile devices and how things scale on a tablet or a phone. Guess that will be the next item on the list.

jamesmck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by jamesmck »

Maybe specify some maximum photo width, beyond which the poster will have to 'suffer' with scrollbars. I guess this is the way it used to be.

James McKearney
AdminPTF
Amateur
Amateur

Post by AdminPTF »

The original simply cut off photos that were wider than the posting area. No horizontal scrolling. Just whacked off the right side of the photo.

Then I had it scale to 100% of the posting area, but the enlarged view didn't offer any ability to scroll to see the rest of the image.

Now, it will scale if it's wider than 800 pixels and pop up to the much larger version if needed.

Dennis Gallus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Dennis Gallus »

I guess this thread explains why my photos in my "Churches" post, W/NW, were resized from 700x467 to 642xsomething, minus borders, and then reinstated to the original, with borders. There must have been some site maintenance being done early this morning when I viewed the post.

Thanks for fixing the problem,
Dennis

Dennis Gallus
Hereford, Arizona USA