Minolta Autocord

Rollei, Mamiya, Hasselblad, Kowa, Minolta, Yashica and many, many others.
minoly
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Minolta Autocord

Post by minoly »

Though I used one for about 25 years as my only (working) camera, in recent years I've had a mixed feeling about the TLR. So far not much has changed except a pretty strong feeling that I still have too many cameras. This past weekend I took out the Minolta Autocord for an hour and a half of shooting on West 7th Street in St. Paul thinking it might help me decide whether or not to sell it. Here are a few photos from that film- exposed on HP5+ (rated at 200 as used to be advised- not a good idea now) , developed in straight D76, and scanned at home with a few more adjustments than I like to make, including cropping.
WEB-Rat's-Nest-Salon.jpg
I think that "The Rat's Nest Salon" as a name for the business is West 7th feisty.
WEB-Crop-Drugstore.jpg
Definitely a corner drugstore and it's been that way since 1915.
WEB-Schmidt's-Brewery-from-.jpg
Schmidt's Brewery, historically the biggest business on West 7th (not a brewery any more).
WEBStahlmann-Schmidt-Bremer.jpg
Stahlman, Schmidt, Bremer house on West 7th (All names connected with the brewery across the street).

So I had to get used to the Autocord again, as expected, but despite my decision to use 200 as the speed rather than 400, I do like the results that came out of it. The detail on the big negative makes up for some inconveniences. I won't decide about selling it till after a few more trials.

Bill Delehanty

LarryD
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Minolta Autocord

Post by LarryD »

Schmidt's beer in the wildlife cans. Nice shots.

If we all saw the world the same no one would need a camera.
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Julio1fer »

Looks all right to me, that Schmidt brewery image has some fine shadows and nice tones.

As for
So far not much has changed except a pretty strong feeling that I still have too many cameras
You should get over the feeling after camera # 30 or so.

PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

I shoot Tri-X at 200, and like that a lot. Haven't tried it with HP5+, but your results here look good. I've got just enough in the way of TLR's to know I don't need another one, though I know where I can get my hands on an Autocord. But I don't shoot them often enough to justify my curiosity into how a different one might handle, or render the images. So I'm sticking with the three users I have (four if I ever get around to making one out of two Ikoflex IIa's).

PF

Waiting for the light
LarryD
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by LarryD »

PF if I send you 2 broken ones a Mamiya and one a Yashica will you send me a working good one in trade?

melek
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by melek »

Bill, those look really good to me. I know what you mean about cameras. Just about the time that you decide to part company with it, you take it out and use it. And you remember what made you like it the first time.

Love the little corner drugstore in the oddly shaped building.

-Mike Elek
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

LarryD wrote:PF if I send you 2 broken ones a Mamiya and one a Yashica will you send me a working good one in trade?
Depends on how broken they are, Larry. If there are missing/damaged parts, I don't have spares to replace them.

PF

Waiting for the light
LarryD
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by LarryD »

OK.

jamesmck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by jamesmck »

Nice! I have one gathering dust - should use it. Ditto what Mike said about the drugstore shot.

James McKearney