The Milky Way, first attempt

Often simply written as "W/NW" - your favorite photos. Explain them, or let your photos (film or digital) speak for themselves.
Dennis Gallus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The Milky Way, first attempt

Post by Dennis Gallus »

After reading an article suggesting a very simple approach to the subject,
http://photographylife.com/how-to-photo ... -milky-way

The data for the shot is:
24mm/2 Nikkor at f/2.8
20 seconds exposure
D700 on tripod, ISO3200
RAW

The article suggested shooting wide open. My 30+ year old Nikkor wasn't up to that, the off-axis image had what looked like coma. It is better at f/2.8. Next time, I will try the 35mm/2. The article recommends a max exposure of 500/(focal length), in seconds, so I'll start out with 15 seconds and boost the ISO as necessary. Fortunately, we get lots of clear skies here in southern Arizona, all I need to do is wait for the dark of the moon.

I'll try again. The lighting on the horizon is from a copper mine in Mexico about 27 mi away.

Dennis Gallus
Hereford, Arizona USA
jamesmck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: The Milky Way, first attempt

Post by jamesmck »

That is a very neat shot, Dennis. I am also impressed by the "flat earth" you have there in AZ, being able to see that glow from 27miles distant! You have so many enviable, and unusual, photo ops right outside your door. Thanks for showing this.
-- James
James McKearney
Philip
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Philip »

Well done! That is a gorgeous shot.
My Flickrs: http://www.flickr.com/flipflik (recent postings), or
- http://www.flickriver.com/photos/flipfl ... teresting/ (Flickr's calculation of my "most interesting" pics);
- http://www.flickr.com/photos/flipflik/s ... 879115542/ (what I like best).
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

It's always an experiment until you figure out what your particular rig is capable of, Dennis. Good first try.

PF
Waiting for the light
Dennis Gallus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Dennis Gallus »

Last night, June 1, was very clear so I did more experimenting with photographing the Milky Way. This time, I used a 35mm/2 Nikkor AI lens, ISO 6400, and I exposed for 15 sec at f/2.8. I like results much better than what I got with the 24mm/2 AI lens. There is some noise, but the extra exposure brought out the clouds of stars within the Milky Way.

I'm fortunate there are no mosquitos in southern Arizona. But I did get buzzed by an owl while taking these photos.
Dennis Gallus
Hereford, Arizona USA
jamesmck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by jamesmck »

Dennis Gallus wrote:the extra exposure brought out the clouds of stars within the Milky Way.
Yeah, sure does. Very nice, especially number one. Just curious, are you timing your exposures manually?
-- James
James McKearney
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

Much better, Dennis. Last time I did any astrophotography was back in Ohio about 18 years ago when one of the comets was buzzing around. Problem with comets is they move so much more than the background stars, so I wasn't pleased with the results.

PF
Waiting for the light
Dennis Gallus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Dennis Gallus »

James, I'm using the D700's marked speeds, which go down in small steps. I'm tempted to put the 55mm/1.2 lens on the camera and shoot for those "clouds" of stars that appear in the Milky Way. Using the empirical formula for max exposure without star trails, 500/(focal length in mm), I'd have to shoot a 10 sec exposure. But I should be able to do that at ISO 6400 and somewhere f/2 to f/2.8, and still get good images.

The two prominent stars near the center of the second of last night's images are the cat's eyes, low in the constellation Scorpio. The right star is at the 2 o'clock position relative to the left one. You can also see the cat's eyes in the first exposure too, above and left of center. What really surprised me in looking at my photos is that you can see stars all the way down to the horizon. That says a lot about how clear and dry the air is out here.

Phil, if I motivated myself to get out every night I could really get into the astrophotography thing. I have a scope and a clock drive, so perhaps one night I'll really get into it. Setting up the clock drive on the tripod seems to take forever.

Thanks for the questions and comments!
Best,
Dennis
Dennis Gallus
Hereford, Arizona USA
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by GrahamS »

Dennis, I salute you sir! You are indeed embracing astro photography very successfully and you are fortunate to have such suitable atmospheric conditions. Wonderful!
GrahamS
Age brings wisdom....or age shows up alone. You never know.
LarryD
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by LarryD »

The last time I could do that I was in Arizona. but even the light pollution got bad at the Lake I used to go too. Nice job.
If we all saw the world the same no one would need a camera.