Nettar on the beach

Often simply written as "W/NW" - your favorite photos. Explain them, or let your photos (film or digital) speak for themselves.
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Nettar on the beach

Post by Julio1fer »

Some images from the Southern hemisphere summer for those of you freezing up North!

Our short family vacation took us to Porto de Galinhas beach, in Brazil, about 8º south of the Equator.

As a certified film addict, I just had to take a film camera. Because of the nasty tropical marine environment (sand, wind, salt and hot weather), the better ones were out of the question. In the end I took my old Nettar 515/16 with Novar lens and Pronto shutter. Took just one roll of HP5+ and burned it in half an hour, on the beach. Time of day was noon, fortunately there were clouds coming and going all the time.

A general view with throngs of people coming into the beach.

Jangadeiros took people to the nearby reef, a nice short sail. The small jangadas take six passengers.

There are plenty of sellers on the beach, mostly for food and beach clothes. Coconut water is a popular refreshment; sugarcane juice is also available, because this area is a giant sugarcane producer. And of course Brazilians are excellent at cooling beer.

All frames were exposed at 1/200 in f/16. Developed the roll in home-made D-76 1:1 for 9.5 minutes at 20 C. The pull helped to get reasonably good midtones in the harsh light.

This is a middle-class tourist place, mostly for Brazilians. Almost all the tourists were taking pictures with cell phones, both in the beach and the city. The point and shoot cameras are definitely going the way of the dinosaurs.

alexvaras
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Re: Nettar on the beach

Post by alexvaras »

Nice Julio, very good job with the Nettar!
Myself I have one 518/16 with the same lens but velio shutter but I haven't tried yet.
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by GrahamS »

Bravo, Julio. You are a mono film master!
GrahamS
Age brings wisdom....or age shows up alone. You never know.
minoly
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by minoly »

Good photos of well-chosen subjects! You surely made the most of that roll of film.

Bill Delehanty (at 45 degrees N)
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

Ha! What winter? It was 64° yesterday! But then I could be in South Dakota where they were in the middle of a full blown blizzard today.

Yeah, I like pull processing HP5+ also. Not as much with the Tri-X. Your cloud action helped to moderate the harshness of the noontime light. I never could get my Nettar to produce such sharp results. But, hey, thanks for beach action, Julio. It was a welcome respite after sitting here nursing my laptop through a grueling update the last two days.

PF
Waiting for the light
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Julio1fer »

Thanks for the comments!

The Novar is a sharp lens even at f/8. At f/16 and 1/200 it is a steal, if you can nail guess focussing. I made a few scans at 2400 dpi and they are good enough for a large print if need be. These old triplets of the good houses such as Novar, Apotar, Vaskar and others, are vastly underrated.

This time I took the precaution to wind just before shooting, with bellows open; sharpness is even all along the frame.

PF, 64 F in January? I read that things were hot in the D.C. area but I thought it was all about the budget. Must be some kind of a record.
jamesmck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by jamesmck »

Bravo, Julio!
James McKearney
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

The first winter I spent here (1999-2000) it hit 90°one January day. Two days later we had 8 inches of snow on the ground.

PF
Waiting for the light
P C Headland
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by P C Headland »

Nice - nothing wrong with the Novar! I've got a couple, one on a Super Ikonta III, and one on a 524/2 (6x9).

Nice and warm down here too - the hottest summer I can ever recall, overnight temperatures are 6 - 8 degrees celsius above average!