Monochrome Magic

Often simply written as "W/NW" - your favorite photos. Explain them, or let your photos (film or digital) speak for themselves.
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Monochrome Magic

Post by GrahamS »

Canon 7D, 24-105 f4 L IS USM, three exposures combined in PS6.

GrahamS
Age brings wisdom....or age shows up alone. You never know.
Dennis Gallus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Monochrome Magic

Post by Dennis Gallus »

Graham,

That is gorgeous. St. Albans Cathedral?

I wonder how long you would have labored in a dark room to pull that great a print from a medium-format negative? I think that I am finally ready to admit that digital photography is more than a passing fad....

Best,
Dennis
Dennis Gallus
Hereford, Arizona USA
jamesmck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by jamesmck »

Very impressive, Graham. Ditto what Dennis said about digital.
-- James
James McKearney
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

"...three exposures combined..." means three light value exposures, or three photos stitched together?

PF
Waiting for the light
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by GrahamS »

PFMcFarland wrote:"...three exposures combined..." means three light value exposures, or three photos stitched together?

PF
Three light values combined - some call it HDR
GrahamS
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by GrahamS »

Dennis Gallus wrote:Graham,

That is gorgeous. St. Albans Cathedral?

Dennis
St Albans it is - we took you there......
GrahamS
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by GrahamS »

The more I learn, the more I realise that there is so much more to know - now my dream is to get the opportunity to use a MF digital camera, and I think the ideal would be a Hasselblad 500C with a leaf back, but I haven't even owned a full frame (FX) camera yet!

The print of this image is, in fact, georgous and is of the same quality standard that I used to achieve in the darkroom using 6X6 and Verichrome Pan film developed in Acutol and printed on Kodabrom HW Pearl in D163. The difference is, it took me all of 30 minutes to prepare the image in PS6 and 90 seconds to print an A3 (why do digital media use stationary size nomenclature?) heavy-weight pearl print on my Canon i9500 printer while sitting at my desk.

Nevertheless, there is still something of the magic missing from that process and somehow, the darkroom was far more satisfying.
GrahamS
jamesmck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by jamesmck »

GrahamS wrote:Nevertheless, there is still something of the magic missing from that process and somehow, the darkroom was far more satisfying.
Graham -- Don't you think that the photo greats of yesteryear would be very much into digital right now? This is not to diminish the absolute fun that can be had in a wet darkroom.
-- James
James McKearney
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by GrahamS »

jamesmck wrote:
GrahamS wrote:Nevertheless, there is still something of the magic missing from that process and somehow, the darkroom was far more satisfying.
Graham -- Don't you think that the photo greats of yesteryear would be very much into digital right now? This is not to diminish the absolute fun that can be had in a wet darkroom.
-- James
James, with the pressures of today's commercial world and the reluctance of most "artists" to get involved in computer technology, I think most of the greats of yesteryear would do as their modern counterparts do - have someone else on the payroll to do the "post production" work.
GrahamS
OpenWater
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by OpenWater »

Yes, it is magic. You've avoided all the HDR clichés by converting it to monochrome. You may start a trend.