A Challenge

Often simply written as "W/NW" - your favorite photos. Explain them, or let your photos (film or digital) speak for themselves.
Dennis Gallus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

A Challenge

Post by Dennis Gallus »

After slightly more than two months of existence, Photography Today has 73 members. But how many of the 73 are active photographers? Sometimes it is very quiet around this site.

Despite Mike’s many fine efforts, this site will wither if we don’t all get more involved.

Here’s the challenge: Post a photo in this thread that you have taken this year. If you wish, tell us why you like it. Let’s see what you got! In two weeks, we’ll see what percentage of our membership really does photography.

Best regards,
Dennis

And here’s my entry, taken April 30:

Castle, Conwy, Wales. I like the way the path leads to a human figure, and to the portal behind.

Dennis Gallus
Hereford, Arizona USA
jamesmck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: A Challenge

Post by jamesmck »

Dennis - Yours is a beautiful shot from your trip to Wales. What a photo paradise there. I agree that we should call the roll here of those who are doing any photography, or, perhaps, just of those who are actually reading posts. So, even if you don't have a photo to submit, just make a comment on one or more pictures that show up on this thread.

Here's my contribution from a May 31, 2014 car show in Leesburg, Virginia. I have attended this annual show many times in the past with Dennis Gallus and Reed George, but this year I was by myself.

1932 Ford 3-Window Coupe coming into the show area.

And the same coupe from the front (wish they'd leave those damn hoods down).
James McKearney
Martolod
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Martolod »

i would not panic Dennis. it will take a little time to get ball rolling and getting up a head of steam as it were. even on NFF i have noticed seasonal ups and and downs. :lol:
from a Modder's perspective it is ticking over nicely. the northern summer tends to be a quiet time...every body is out in the sunshine......autumn through to spring have always been the busier time .
Sharpness is a bourgeois concept ~ Cartier-Bresson
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by GrahamS »

The new skyline of London Town....
GrahamS
Age brings wisdom....or age shows up alone. You never know.
Philip
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Philip »

Nice idea.

In April my wife and I and two friends spent three weeks in Italy. It was a first time for me and I took literally thousands of digital pictures. I also took a couple of hundred b&w pictures but I still haven't found time to develop them. But, using a digital camera every day for three weeks made me start to think about the shots I could *only* get digitally. Sending ISO ratings sky high was a bit of fun when it was useful.

So this is my favourite picture of the year, so far. A group of us -- about twenty people -- had booked a small flotilla of gondolas and musicians in Venice one evening. It was a splurge, and we all felt it was really tacky. But we all felt it was something we had to do. This was one of the shots, and probably the best one, I took that night.

I drove the ISO up to 12500 and opened up the lens to f/2. I kept the focus on manual so I could take pictures when *I* wanted and not when the camera got ready. And I like what I got even though it was really slow, at a fifteenth of a second. (I was using my Fujifilm X100.). You may want to click through to the Flickr version -- I can only see the left two-thirds here.

Venice as the tourist sees it par Felip1, sur Flickr
My Flickrs: http://www.flickr.com/flipflik (recent postings), or
- http://www.flickriver.com/photos/flipfl ... teresting/ (Flickr's calculation of my "most interesting" pics);
- http://www.flickr.com/photos/flipflik/s ... 879115542/ (what I like best).
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by GrahamS »

Brilliant! this is the first example I have ever seen of the use of ultra-high ISO that really worked. Bravo!
GrahamS
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by GrahamS »

GrahamS wrote:The new skyline of London Town....
Dennis tells me that he doesn't see this image - anyone else have the same problem?
GrahamS
Philip
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Philip »

1. Thanks, Graham. :)

2. I'm having no trouble seeing your picture. I do get different results with pictures here on Photographytoday depending on whether I am on my PC (where I am now and can see my own entire picture, above), or on my iPad (where I can see yours but only 2/3 of my own picture). I wonder if Dennis's OS is Apple.
My Flickrs: http://www.flickr.com/flipflik (recent postings), or
- http://www.flickriver.com/photos/flipfl ... teresting/ (Flickr's calculation of my "most interesting" pics);
- http://www.flickr.com/photos/flipflik/s ... 879115542/ (what I like best).
Dennis Gallus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Dennis Gallus »

Good morning, Graham and Philip,

This morning, I see Graham's image in both posts. Last night, I saw only a small black square with an "x" in it, as if the link were broken. I'm using a Samsung laptop, and have not had any issues viewing images on PT before last night.

And, by the way, both of your images are splendid. I have no worries at all about either of you being involved in photography, you are both great contributors to this site. Ditto for James McK. Philip, I echo Graham's comment about your ultra-high ISO shot. Your trip to Venice must have been fantastic.

Best,
Dennis
Dennis Gallus
Hereford, Arizona USA
Santiago Montenegro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Santiago Montenegro »

I have been chasing jedis at Central Park, but I still manage to snap a picture now and then.

ImageL1002125 by Santiago Montenegro, on Flickr