Fair Weather Clouds

Often simply written as "W/NW" - your favorite photos. Explain them, or let your photos (film or digital) speak for themselves.
jamesmck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Fair Weather Clouds

Post by jamesmck »

I love fair weather clouds set against crisp blue skies. For photos, I like to have contextual things in the picture too. Now this might just be my imagination, but I don't seem to see as many skies like this as I used to. Well, today in DC was definitely a beautiful cloud day. Below is some evidence. Feel free to add your own fair weather cloud shots.
--- James

This panorama is stitched from six shots (vertical format), handheld, with Microsoft ICE. Olympus E-PL5 with Panasonic Lumix 14-42mm Mark II lens, set at the the widest focal length of 14mm (28mm 35mm equivalent). Site is heading west on Constitution Avenue, Washington, DC. At extreme left is the construction site for the new National Museum of African American History and Culture on the National Mall. The obelisk is, of course, the Washington Monument. Exposures were f/10 at 1/640 sec. If you have a big monitor, a larger version is here: https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2900/141 ... f09c_k.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Another shot of the Washington Monument from the east side with the same camera and lens.

James McKearney
PFMcFarland

Re: Fair Weather Clouds

Post by PFMcFarland »

Yes, it's been a while since I've seen skies like that in June, but I'll take them just the same. Both your shots look great, James.

PF
Waiting for the light
Dennis Gallus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Dennis Gallus »

James,

Great idea for a thread! Here's a scene I took I took seven weeks ago. The picture would be flat without the fair-weather clouds.

Dennis Gallus
Hereford, Arizona USA
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by GrahamS »

I call them Chocolate Box Skies.......

GrahamS
Age brings wisdom....or age shows up alone. You never know.
jamesmck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by jamesmck »

PFMcFarland wrote:Yes, it's been a while since I've seen skies like that in June, but I'll take them just the same. PF
Did you have a similar sky in Roanoke on Saturday? Sunday was a different story in DC.
James McKearney
jamesmck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by jamesmck »

GrahamS wrote:I call them Chocolate Box Skies.......
Great shot, Graham. I lived for some years in the open spaces of Rhode Island, and we had lots of good skies like that. I came to call them "Rhode Island Skies."

Here's a shot taken a few years ago of Boston Harbor as seen from the Institute of Contemporary Art.
James McKearney
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

jamesmck wrote:
PFMcFarland wrote:Yes, it's been a while since I've seen skies like that in June, but I'll take them just the same. PF
Did you have a similar sky in Roanoke on Saturday? Sunday was a different story in DC.
All the way from Roanoke to DC and back. Had the digicam with me, but just kept on scooting.

PF
Waiting for the light
Brazile
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Brazile »

OK, I'm going to beg forbearance here, as I love cloud shots and have taken more than my share. But since you brought it up, I can't resist including a few here.

The sky at an ultimate frisbee tournament I was playing in. Enjoyed the tournament, but was almost too distracted by the sky.

Sky at BUDA Summer Club tournament 2007 by rbrazile, on Flickr

The Château Azay-le-Rideau, in the Loire valley, on a beautiful late summer day.

Château and clouds, SDIM1489 by rbrazile, on Flickr

Playing around with IR photography with my SD14. Using some fairly odd shutter settings here: a very short shutter speed and a white balance set from some very green grass to get an inky black sky. The view is of the Boston skyline from a park at the end of my street, though it's hard to tell in this shot.

SDIM7085 by rbrazile, on Flickr

A view from the other side of clouds over the Irish coast.

SDIM0463, Cloud formations by rbrazile, on Flickr

Some very odd clouds and color one evening in Zürich: the weather was fine, but the sunset turned the sky into vivid shades of pink, magenta, and orange, giving the place an apocalyptic feel. The fact that the final of the Euro 2008 football tournament then being held in Switzerland was that evening was part of the whole vibe.

SDIM3156 by rbrazile, on Flickr

Finally, a shot from a catamaran returning to Maui from Lana'i after afternoon showers swept over the shoreline. It was fair weather where we were!

Rainbow, moon, and cat, SDIM1382 by rbrazile, on Flickr

Hope you enjoyed them. Thanks for the wonderful challenge topic, James.

Robert
jamesmck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by jamesmck »

Like 'em, Robert, especially numbers one and two. Days like that make me extra glad to be alive.
-- James
James McKearney
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

Finally getting around to this post.

Valley Farm by br1078phot, on Flickr

PF
Waiting for the light