Half-frame fans

When you want less than 24mm x 36mm.
melek
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Half-frame fans

Post by melek »

I confess that I am a fan of the half-frame formats.

Any other users? At the top of the heap should be the Olympus Pen cameras. A guy at work had a complete outfit. I think he should have given it to me, but he never did. And now I've switched jobs.

My favorite is the Agfa Optima-Para, which has a very nice lens and a very slippery body that just begs to be dropped. I love the photos from it, and it's really simple to use.

A couple of years ago, I picked up an Ansco Memo -- the old, old camera. Its body is made of wood, and it just has that little Galilean tube viewfinder.

So I shot some film with it. Luckily, the camera had two cassettes, or I'd have to improvise. The photos were unusual. I thought maybe that I had reinstalled one of the elements backward, but it wasn't possible with this lens.

Unlike most cameras, the default orientation is landscape, because the film runs vertically. There were some better lenses offered for this, and most likely they would give you better photos than the non-focusing optic on this one.

I picked up an Ansco GAF (Made by Chinon) Memo II and have been playing around with it a big. I'll write about it once I finish the roll of film.

Last edited by melek on Mon May 26, 2014 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

-Mike Elek
Philip
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Half-frame fans

Post by Philip »

I'm a big fan of half-frame. I think what I like best is the native vertical format of half-frame.

I agree about the Olympus family -- my overall favourite is the Pen D3 of which I have had three over the years that I have been into that format. And I agree about the Agfa cameras -- for near-p&s ease and high quality, they cannot be beat in half-frame.

Here is a Flickr set of some of my half-frame shots:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/flipflik/ ... 077348167/

Philip

My Flickrs: http://www.flickr.com/flipflik (recent postings), or
- http://www.flickriver.com/photos/flipfl ... teresting/ (Flickr's calculation of my "most interesting" pics);
- http://www.flickr.com/photos/flipflik/s ... 879115542/ (what I like best).
Dustin McAmera
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Dustin McAmera »

I only have the one 35 mm half-frame, a FED Mikron. I love it; I love that the auto-exposure still works, and that it came with an f/1.9 lens. I've come (in the end) to find it amusing to find out what's on that long roll of pictures when I finally finish one. I like the aspect ratio of the picture; the same as 3x4 cm (half-frame 127, which I do as well), and the same as 4.5x6, which I suppose if 'half-frame 120'.

Here's my Mikron set, and here are a few from it that I like:

Fungus

Stacked barriers (same kind of picture, I guess)

Horse on Buslingthorpe Lane
I walked home from the University on a warm, wet spring day, and saw this poor old thing standing patiently in the rain, and the trees behind steaming like a tropical forest.

Beech in late summer, and mower bloke

Dusk (see what I mean about f/1.9; if you set the aperture manually, the camera defaults to 1/30, so you can take one last picture in the dusk).
Last edited by Dustin McAmera on Sat May 24, 2014 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dustin McAmera, Leeds, UK.
My flickr pages
Camera-wiki.org
LarryD
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by LarryD »

I have 2 of them I think I will take one out tomorrow. It is am OLY. The other one is a toy camera called The Golden Half.
If we all saw the world the same no one would need a camera.
jamesmck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by jamesmck »

Dustin McAmera wrote:Here's my Mikron set, and here are a few from it that I like:
That Mikron is a good performer, Dustin. Seventy-two shots before taking a peek sure does require some discipline.
--- James
James McKearney
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

I have a Yashica Samurai X3.0 that I've gotten good results from.

Wooden Ducks by br1078phot, on Flickr

PF
Waiting for the light