Aires 35III

Share your advice about camera repair or ask a question.
minoly
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Aires 35III

Post by minoly »

I bought my Aires 35III in the spring of 1957 and used it occasionally until sometime in the 1970's when it developed shutter problems. A non-professional repair at that time restored usability for a while but didn't hold up. Sometime since then my fiddling around (external) caused the film advance to fail, though I seem to remember that the problem was off-and-on. Shortly before Hurricane Sandy I got a good repair estimate from Essex Camera in NJ ; I didn't send it in right away, but there was no Essex Camera after the storm hit. Does anyone have a recommendation for a shop that might be able to repair the Aires 35III? The rf spot is still bright, the focus works fine,and the general construction seems pretty heavy duty. I have used a local shop for work on Minoltas with good results. But I'm afraid the Aires might be too uncommon for them. Thanks for any suggestions. I don't attempt any repairs myself.

melek
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Re: Aires 35III

Post by melek »

From what I read, shutter in the Aires 35III is very similar to the Compur shutter, which shouldn't pose any problems for your repair person who handles the Minoltas.

I would ask them about it, and see what they have to say.

By the way, apparently, the camera is pronounced "eye-rez." rather than "air-reez."
-Mike Elek
minoly
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by minoly »

Thanks, Mike, for the tip. I think that I'll ask my local service.
Bill D.
melek
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by melek »

Bill, if your guy can't handle it (although I think that he should be able to), drop me a note.
-Mike Elek