Kodak Medalist II - River Ride

Often simply written as "W/NW" - your favorite photos. Explain them, or let your photos (film or digital) speak for themselves.
alexvaras
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Kodak Medalist II - River Ride

Post by alexvaras »

Another sunny Sunday in Moscow, this day was the match Alemania-Mexico and I was looking for fans (I had Julio's request in mind) and I took a different path with the bike, this time the south river side from Taganskaya to Luzhniki (where the stadium is) where I expected to meet some fans gathering for the match.
In Spain we have the saying "El hombre propone y Dios dispone" (Man plans, God laughs) and that happened.

First I saw father and son fishing in Moskva river, I thought I could be interesting, I asked, they agreed and the result is not the best composition but I hope to meet them again so I can share the pic.

Second is the centre of Russia, The Kremlin of Moscow, every old city has a kremlin which means something like fortified centre with churches.

No comments on this one.

Peter I The Great, on a boat, and IT'S BIG! The statue its self it's "okaysh" but no matter from where you look at it its horrible because of its huge dimensions, it doesn't fit at all, maybe on the 5th Av in NY city could fit among all the giant skyscrapers. Plus the original head was Cristobal Colon and after not founding anyone who wanted it they reconverted to Peter I celebrating the 300 anniversary of the Russian Fleet.
But from Gorky Park, I had this view of the statue itself and I thought it wasn't too bad sailing from tree to tree with some clouds as the wind blows.

At this point I entered Gorky Park fully and no fans at all, when I got near to the bridge accessing the stadium I was stopped by police asking me the world cup ticket to allow me to go in... I went to city centre by metro and I dropped the Charro-Mariachi-Project.
One stop for a coffee.

Detail of the pole of the entrance of one fancy hotel coming back home.

Two shots at the crystal bottle/jar, different angles, tripod in place.

This was my Sunday, thank for watching.

GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Re: Kodak Medalist II - River Ride

Post by GrahamS »

Again, superb images and an interesting tour. Your tones are excellent, Alex, therefore your wxposures must be spot on! Well done, and never mind the lack of footie fans.
GrahamS
Age brings wisdom....or age shows up alone. You never know.
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Julio1fer »

Another beautiful series. I was wondering if you would catch some of the World Cup buzz, now I know that you tried.
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

I think you did really good on the father-son portrait, Alex. I had forgotten all about the Peter 1 monument. That thing just amazes me, it's so hideous.

PF
Waiting for the light
alexvaras
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by alexvaras »

Thank you all :)
GrahamS wrote:Again, superb images and an interesting tour. Your tones are excellent, Alex, therefore your wxposures must be spot on! Well done, and never mind the lack of footie fans.
Julio1fer wrote:Another beautiful series. I was wondering if you would catch some of the World Cup buzz, now I know that you tried.
Still Im not giving up of the project, Im still not good at street photography and I dont have a point-and-shoot camera, I could take out the DSLR I have. I will try anyway, what film could you recommend me for this? Both BW and/or Color.
Brazile
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Brazile »

The father and son portrait is excellent, Alex. Good work!

Robert
alexvaras
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by alexvaras »

Brazile wrote:The father and son portrait is excellent, Alex. Good work!

Robert
Thank you Robert!
jamesmck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by jamesmck »

Thanks for the taste of Moscow!
James McKearney
alexvaras
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by alexvaras »

jamesmck wrote:Thanks for the taste of Moscow!
Yw James! I really enjoy sharing the places I pass by and I'm glad you can taste it.
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Julio1fer »

I will try anyway, what film could you recommend me for this? Both BW and/or Color
Alex, film is not that important for street if you can get into the exposure ballpark, i.e. a stop over or under. I prefer 35mm for street opportunities, but anything can be used if it is ready to shoot. I have seen excellent street pictures taken with a 4x5 press camera, and I have used myself 120 a lot.

Your Contax is probably excellent for street photo, if kept handy and ready (i.e. prefocused and pre-set in exposure and aperture). Many people prefer RF cameras for street. In any case you want a small, or easily ported camera that can be operated quickly and safely. You should be able to spot the picture, grab the camera and shoot in less than two seconds.

Color film gives you more latitude, and you can always desaturate later if B&W looks better. If you can choose, use ISO 400 color negative film, especially for World Cup subjects where (I imagine) color is interesting.

These days probably the best instrument for street photography is a cell phone! And of course your eyes.