Outdoors in dull weather

Often simply written as "W/NW" - your favorite photos. Explain them, or let your photos (film or digital) speak for themselves.
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Outdoors in dull weather

Post by Julio1fer »

After Alex question, please post examples of outdoor pictures taken in dull weather that you find bright or dramatic or somehow interesting.

Night pictures especially look much better in rainy weather because of water reflections but I do not have any handy right now. In dull weather I like to go with the mood.

A few to get the thread started.

alexvaras
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Re: Outdoors in dull weather

Post by alexvaras »

Thank you for the thread Julio, I think I should start testing some 400 ASA films, any recommendations from you side?
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by GrahamS »

This was a very dull and stormy day. Nikon F, 50mm f2 Nikkor-H, Tri-X rated at 1600 ASA in Acufine.

This was a typical misty day in Cape Town. Nikon F, 50mm f2 Nikkor-H, Y2 filter, Agfa Gavert motion picture stock rated at 80 ASA.
GrahamS
Age brings wisdom....or age shows up alone. You never know.
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

It helps to have a higher contrast film, too. Here are three examples from a cloudy day, with different subjects. Lighting can be called flat, but if you start with a subject that has contrast, and your film has good tones, things should look pretty good.

Looking Back by P F McFarland, on Flickr

Carbide Plant 7 by P F McFarland, on Flickr

Lowing About by P F McFarland, on Flickr

PF

ps: Forgot to mention these were on Ilford Delta 100 in a Nikon S2 rangefinder.
Last edited by PFMcFarland on Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting for the light
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Julio1fer »

Julio, I think I should start testing some 400 ASA films, any recommendations from you side?
Alex, I have used HP5+, TMax 400 (TMY) and Tri-X with good results. I guess Delta 400 would be also in that league. In C-41 color my favorite was Fuji 400 consumer film but I do not know if they make it anymore.

Ilford also has XP2 which is a C-41 B&W film ; if you can get C-41 development, XP2 would probably be the most flexible option because that film has incredible latitude and good contrast: being C-41 it is also easier to scan because most scanner corrections and dust elimination tricks are tuned for C-41 films.

As PF said above it helps if you can control contrast with your development.

ISO 400 would be an excellent choice with your Superb or other MF cameras where grain is not so important as in 35mm. I often use ISO 100 (FP4+) in dull weather anyway.

If you can try night pictures with dull weather, you'll be surprised!
alexvaras
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by alexvaras »

Thank you for the advices everyone.
I will try one of each those films in cloudy weather and see how it goes, after that stick to one :)
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Julio1fer »

It is the combination of film and processing, not only film type. All these films are very good and can give excellent results.

Trying different films is fun, let alone different developers. Over time I have changed approach, now I concentrate on one film and one process for a given ISO and never shoot less than five or 10 rolls before changing.
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by GrahamS »

Consistency is everything!
GrahamS
Age brings wisdom....or age shows up alone. You never know.
alexvaras
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by alexvaras »

Thank you guys, I got it, choose one and stick to it :)