Ilford plate R.10

Questions and answers about developing film, enlarging and making your own prints. Also, topics on scanning your negatives, transparencies and photos.
alexvaras
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Ilford plate R.10

Post by alexvaras »

Hi all,

New box opened of quarter plate.

Ilford Plate R.10

First try... Originally is ASA 64 so I rated 12, as develop D-76 1+1 10 minutes.

Pine bark.

I will rate next ones at ASA 25, this is one stop over, not really bad but I prefer to control that myself.
These Ilford plates are incredible... I will keep them for portraits for now.

Thank you for looking,
Alex

Brazile
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Ilford plate R.10

Post by Brazile »

Looks promising! Better than my stash of old Tri-X plates...so far.

Robert

PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

That definitely looks good for portraits.

PF

Waiting for the light
P C Headland
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by P C Headland »

I see potential there!

I do see plates come up on out local auction site from time to time, but they're just about always opened or in an otherwise questionable state. One day.

alexvaras
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by alexvaras »

Brazile wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:32 am
Looks promising! Better than my stash of old Tri-X plates...so far.

Robert
I haven't tried Kodak old plate so far, normally are in USA and shipping is rare to here or expensive.
Ilford has proven me they are awesome so far, soviets... only ortho and it's a lottery...
PFMcFarland wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:52 pm
That definitely looks good for portraits.

PF
I'm going to try during the week, I see weather forecast and they say sun!!!
P C Headland wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:08 pm
I see potential there!

I do see plates come up on out local auction site from time to time, but they're just about always opened or in an otherwise questionable state. One day.
As in ebay or local sites, if I dont see the seals are intact I don't even think about it.

Brazile
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Brazile »

In my case, I bought a set of six boxes of Tri-X plates, from the look of the packaging, I'd guess late 40s to early 50s. One box was already opened, and while I think they were not light-exposed, they were somewhat mildewed, and the fog was pretty out of control. But the other boxes were all sealed, so...who knows? I suppose it's about time to open one up and try it.
IMG_3697-sm.jpeg
Robert

alexvaras
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by alexvaras »

Yeah! Looking forward what you get from them :)

PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

Don't have any plates yet, but did manage to score a two-plate holder for the Graflex.

PF

Waiting for the light
alexvaras
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by alexvaras »

I need 4x5 plate holders... besides Chamonix and the new 3D ones, what options are over there?

Brazile
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Brazile »

I buy antique ones off eBay or at the yearly local antique photo show. This is hit and miss, of course, as they are in varying condition, and the standards of those days...weren't. That is, some have external dimensions that don't match modern standards (e.g., the ANSI/ISO standard for 4x5 film holders) or, more irritatingly, they fit just fine, but the lock rib doesn't match what the camera expects, either being in a different place, or in some cases being inverse to the modern standard (i.e., has a groove instead of a rib). I've had better luck with larger sizes, all the way to 11x14; so far, they've all fit.

All that being said, in this manner I've managed to acquire a reasonable set of 4x5 holders that work, and hope to restore some of the more fragile or damaged ones to usability. I'm mostly just saying to look carefully at any you see offered for sale. There are still quite a few out there in the world, so it's a reasonable way to get going with plates.

Robert