That old FX v DX thing

Often simply written as "W/NW" - your favorite photos. Explain them, or let your photos (film or digital) speak for themselves.
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

That old FX v DX thing

Post by GrahamS »

Here’s something to relieve the boredom of lockdown. Two images, taken with different camera systems. The first, with a Nikon D700 full frame fitted with a Nikkor-D 50mm f1.4, ISO 220, the second, with a Pentax K5 APS-C fitted with a Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 35mm f2.5, ISO 100. Both were shot at 1/60th, f8,

D700

K5

Ya pays ya money and ya takes ya choice!

GrahamS
Age brings wisdom....or age shows up alone. You never know.
PFMcFarland

Re: That old FX v DX thing

Post by PFMcFarland »

I think it depends more on how the sensor is dialed in to render a scene, not how much real estate it covers. Both images are quite good, but to make this a fair fight the same lens should be used on both cameras.

PF
Waiting for the light
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by GrahamS »

PFMcFarland wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:18 pm
I think it depends more on how the sensor is dialed in to render a scene, not how much real estate it covers. Both images are quite good, but to make this a fair fight the same lens should be used on both cameras.

PF
I didn't set out to compare sensors, I set out to test whether the K5 would work with the Flektogon lens. I had the D700 to hand, so I took the same shot with that as well. The Flektogon lens can only be mounted on the D700 with an adaptor that contains a glass element, which allows infinity focus. The Nikkor can only be mounted on the Pentax D5 using a similar adaptor with a glass element, thus voiding any direct comparison. I do have a M42 to Nikon F adaptor without the glass element, but I don't know what the focus distance range will be as I have never tried it. I don't even know if the rear of the lens will clear the mirror when fitted. I will do some experimenting later today - watch this space.
GrahamS
titrisol
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by titrisol »

Both are nice images, well done
If you can't fix it with a hammer... you got an electrical problem
even duct tape can't fix stupid.... but it can muffle it (SilentObserver)
My Flickr -ipernity
Thanks CE Nelson ;)
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by GrahamS »

GrahamS