The classy Contessa

Talk about rangefinder cameras, lenses and accessories.
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

The classy Contessa

Post by Julio1fer »

The Contessa looks similar to the Contina or Ikonta 35, but has a lot more features, especially a rotating wedges rangefinder and a selenium light meter. The lens is a very decent Tessar, 45mm, f/2.8.

Although already featured in the Friday thread, allow me to repeat the pictures of the camera for completeness. This one has a T serial number.

Shutter speed, aperture and focus are selected by very thin serrated rings around the lens. All selected values can be read from above, which I find convenient. Although the serrated rings are very close together, in practice there are no big issues with ergonomics, at least for my relatively small hands.

The rangefinder in my example is easy to snap into focus, and accurate enough. The viewfinder, alas, is not very bright and quite small.

Film transport is from right to left (looking at the back of the camera), and winding and rewinding knobs are located at the bottom. The film direction gives frames which are inverted with regards to modern custom, but not unusual at the time; IIRC Exaktas work the same way. Film counter is also downstairs. In my example frame separation was a bit irregular but useable.

I took this aristocratic classic to my usual proving grounds, loaded with HP5+, and got a little fishing boat coming in just in time for the test roll.

The fisherman was discussing with his partner onshore.

Tried closer focus, which seems accurate enough.

Went to the nearby yacht club in order to finish the roll. Once you could just walk in, but lately a guard takes your data, borrows your ID card and gives you a visitor badge. Not a big deal for a dedicated amateur. In the piers there are beautiful and expensive yachts, well moored. Some contrast with the fishing dock nearby.

The yachts are tied to old tyres, for some reason. Another try at close focus.

This camera is a worthy competitor to the Retinas of the same period. Personally I am more used to the Retinas, but this one is in the same class. The Contessa was manufactured in Stuttgart, same as the Retinas.

Thanks for looking!
Last edited by Julio1fer on Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

titrisol
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: The classy Contessa

Post by titrisol »

Very nice!
Those Contessas are great cameras.
Pictures look sharp, but the first seems like a sunshade could have helped.
These cameras use 28.5 push-on lens shade and filters (FYI)
If you can't fix it with a hammer... you got an electrical problem
even duct tape can't fix stupid.... but it can muffle it (SilentObserver)
My Flickr -ipernity
Thanks CE Nelson ;)
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Julio1fer »

titrisol wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:46 pm
Very nice!
Those Contessas are great cameras.
Pictures look sharp, but the first seems like a sunshade could have helped.
These cameras use 28.5 push-on lens shade and filters (FYI)
Thanks! And yes, a sunshade would have been useful. I was shooting against the sun and forgot my usual trick of shadowing with the free hand. In any case the old lens did its job.
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by GrahamS »

Nice camera, worthy of it's place in photographic history.
GrahamS
Age brings wisdom....or age shows up alone. You never know.
titrisol
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by titrisol »

IDK if it is the same as in Ecuador, people used old tires on the docks to prevent the boats bumping and damaging themselves
and something about keeping the knots with friction that I can;t fully remember (I'm from the mountains)
Julio1fer wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:30 am
Thanks! And yes, a sunshade would have been useful. I was shooting against the sun and forgot my usual trick of shadowing with the free hand. In any case the old lens did its job.
My Flickr -ipernity
Thanks CE Nelson ;)
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

A good-looking camera there, Julio. And images to match.

PF
Waiting for the light
Santiago Montenegro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Santiago Montenegro »

Julio, your images reinforce my belief that a 40-50mm 2.8 Tessar is the best all-around lens for my taste. A jewel.
titrisol
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by titrisol »

Santiago Montenegro wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:17 am
Julio, your images reinforce my belief that a 40-50mm 2.8 Tessar is the best all-around lens for my taste. A jewel.
Agreed, all those Tessar, Skopar, Xenar, Solinar, etc German lenses are brilliant
I think these and the Ultron (6/5) make up the nifty-50s: the base for amateur photography.
My Flickr -ipernity
Thanks CE Nelson ;)
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Julio1fer »

Thanks for the comments!

35mm folders of this period are very practical, with a range of features and lenses. Even the humbler ones, i.e. those with triplet lenses, basic shutters and no rangefinder, are quite capable.

In my experience the bellows in these cameras rarely leak, in opposition to MF folders, which usually do. Maybe I was just lucky with my 35mm folders.
Bennybee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Bennybee »

Great camera and nice results too! I love the look of that lens assembly, but I personally also love the Kodak Retinas - I have a IIIc. Those old German lenses are indeed very good - I even have great results from the humble Novar lens on my old Ikonta 521/16.