Film Life Exspectations

Upcoming events, lights, tripods, camera bags and other topics that don't fit within one of the other categories.
RonB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Film Life Exspectations

Post by RonB »

I recently made a move to a new home and have been reading some older magazines that floated to the top.
Today I came across an article on keeping film. It stated that freezing did not extend it's life, it may slow down aging some but it still ages.
I have some 120 film that has been in the freezer for 10 or 12 years now. I tried a roll or two a few years ago and it was still good.
Hope that I haven't wasted the rest. :roll:

LarryD
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Film Life Exspectations

Post by LarryD »

Just like some of that stuff you sent me 7 years ago that you found in your basement. I still use it with no problems. I am pretty sure that they were payed for by Kodak to write that article. :clap:
If we all saw the world the same no one would need a camera.
melek
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by melek »

I've had variable results with really old film. I recently shot an unused roll of old Plus-X, but the negative were horribly fogged. However, it was an unboxed roll, so I have no idea of how much time it spent in a basement, attic or garage.

With my own film, I keep tighter control, and I haven't had any issues with somee Agfapan APX 100 and 400 that I bought back when Agfa stopped making it.

In fact, I still have several 100-foot spools of each.

I also have some Kodak TechPan in a bulk loader and another 150-foot spool. And I have a lot of boxed 120 rolls. I've shot all of them and haven't had any problems.

So, yeah, I think it depends on how the film has been handled.

Color film is a different story. Or that's what I hear.
-Mike Elek
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Julio1fer »

My own experience is with B&W film mostly.

400 ISO film will start to fog noticeably in about 10 years, just because of background radiation, I guess. I have used 100 ISO film that was 20 year outdated, no visible fog.

As said above, useful life of film depends a lot on handling, especially about the temperature history. Higher ISO films may be more sensitive.
LarryD
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by LarryD »

This was 50+ year old Plus-X that expired in 1962. A friend found it in the basement of a house he moved into in the Washington D.C. area. He sent it to me. I said WTF and shot it at E.I. 80 then put it in some Rodinal 1-100 semistand for a little over an hour.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jokerphot ... 271975163/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If we all saw the world the same no one would need a camera.
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Julio1fer »

Today I shot and developed FP4+ that had expired in 2001, it was just forgotten inside a closet, not chilled, not frozen, not a difference from fresh film, as far as I can tell.
Dennis Gallus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Dennis Gallus »

This is encouraging, I have dozens of rolls of B&W that I "forgot" to refrigerate when I moved to Arizona four years ago.
Dennis Gallus
Hereford, Arizona USA
P C Headland
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by P C Headland »

I seem to recall reading somewhere recently that as long as the film is kept at a stable, cool temperature, that was good enough to keep it for a reasonably long time (at least for B+W). It did mention in the same article that freezing did not help.
RonB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by RonB »

P C Headland wrote:I seem to recall reading somewhere recently that as long as the film is kept at a stable, cool temperature, that was good enough to keep it for a reasonably long time (at least for B+W). It did mention in the same article that freezing did not help.
Well as long as freezing doesn't hurt it I guess I will be OK. If I would leave it in the refrigerator it would be molested, no one bothers it in the freezer :) I am sure there is meat in the freezer older than my film---- yukkkkk :roll:

Ron B
Tom Hildreth

Post by Tom Hildreth »

I think that ambient radiation, accumulated over time, will fog any film. That rate at which this happens may vary with film sensitivity (ISO), and storage location, but it will happen.