Martin Scorcese on making movies with film

Upcoming events, lights, tripods, camera bags and other topics that don't fit within one of the other categories.
melek
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Martin Scorcese on making movies with film

Post by melek »

The L.A. Times story.
Everything we do in HD is an effort to recreate the look of film. Film, even now, offers a richer visual palette than HD," Martin Scorsese said. "We have to remember that film is still the best and only time-proven way to preserve movies."

The Oscar-winner's statement came after news that Eastman Kodak Co., one of the world's most recognizable film suppliers, is finalizing agreements with industry leaders to keep celluloid in the future of film.

-Mike Elek
Madrigalrose
Amateur
Amateur

Re: Martin Scorcese on making movies with film

Post by Madrigalrose »

No one here really needs convincing, but I can say that thanks to HD we can watch well-transferred old films like no one's seen before. Specifically, I recently watched "Bullitt" in HD and it was AMAZING. Absolutely gorgeous film. Love the story, too, but I was mesmerized by how beautiful the film was.
Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you. - Satchel Paige
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Re: Martin Scorcese on making movies with film

Post by GrahamS »

It's the 24fps "look" that does it. The motion blur artifacts that are a result of the slow shutter give film a unique appeal. Video shot on HD video using high speed shutters does not look anything like it.
GrahamS
Age brings wisdom....or age shows up alone. You never know.