Sigma DP2 Quattro mini review

Small mirrorless camera systems, including some with interchangeable lenses.
Brazile
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sigma DP2 Quattro mini review

Post by Brazile »

A couple folks have mentioned the DP2Q here, and I guess it's time for me to 'fess up that I have one now. I'm still getting to know it, so I can't say that I'm getting the best possible results out of it. But I like what I'm seeing so far (I've had it for only a couple weeks) and I'm still learning its quirks. The camera itself is fairly straightforward to use (particularly compared to older Sigma models, of which I have several). The raw converter, Sigma Photo Pro v6 (SPP6), leaves a lot to be desired, though. The version that supports the Quattro camera(s) is still in something like a "beta" form, though, so I expect improvements -- particularly in robustness and performance -- in the production version of the program, which is due out in October.

The fixed 30mm lens (45mm equivalent on this sensor, a 1.5x crop APS-C sized Foveon sensor with a slightly new architecture) is excellent as all the DP lenses have been. The new sensor has high resolution and seems to have better color rendering than some of its predecessors. The body is itself is odd-looking, but I find it pleasant enough to use; easy to grip and not heavy. It's not as pocketable as the previous DP models, but I find it easy enough to tuck in a bag or a larger jacket pocket, or I often just carry it on its strap, as it's so light. It does not have the intense micro contrast of the Merrill cameras, but for some kinds of shooting that's a good thing (portraits in particular), and you can certainly amp up the contrast in post if you want, even if you can't easily get to the same ridiculous level that the Merrills are capable of. On the other hand, battery life and processing speed of the Q is much improved from the Merrills.

The Quattro is probably a slight improvement over the previous cameras with respect to low light but still is not at all up to the "see in the dark" capabilities of the newest Bayer models. But in good light, at low ISOs, it's capable of a crispness that shows all the way down to the pixel level. As much as I like my Nikon D7100, I occasionally miss the pixel-level quality I can get with my old Sigmas. OTOH, for the purposes I use the Nikon (low, bad light, sports or other event shooting where speed is important), my keep rate is much higher with the Nikon, so it's a case of "the best tool for the job", as you would expect.

To see the resolution of which the camera is capable, click through on one of the photos, then click on the icon in the lower right hand corner of the photo page that looks like a down arrow pointing at a horizontal line. There you can "View all sizes" to zoom in.

Overall I'm happy with the wee beastie and look forward to getting to know it better over the coming months.

Anyway, here are a few shots that I've taken so far to give you an idea of what it's like.

First up, from my first walk around with the camera, a neighbor's mailbox and floral display:

DP2Q0021, Approved by the Postmaster General by rbrazile, on Flickr

Some graffiti on jersey barriers set up for roadwork as they rebuilt the Longfellow Bridge, which is near my office:

DP2Q0034, One Way: Love Wins by rbrazile, on Flickr

The plaza in front of One Broadway, Cambridge, Mass., looking over at the new MIT Sloan School building in Kendall Square:

DP2Q0031 by rbrazile, on Flickr

A construction project: the rebuilding of 50 Memorial Drive (the original Sloan School HQ) at MIT:

DP2Q0077, 50 Memorial Drive by rbrazile, on Flickr

Some color:

DP2Q0081, Avoiding blow-out by rbrazile, on Flickr

Haven't had a chance to do a lot of people yet. But here are a couple quick snapshots I took of teammates at practice:

DP2Q0037, Coop's new ride by rbrazile, on Flickr

DP2Q0004, Ann, Summer 2014 by rbrazile, on Flickr

And finally (for now), the bike I just built up for commuting to work -- after the frame languished in my basement for seven years:

DP2Q0093, Kogswell P/R quarter view by rbrazile, on Flickr

I have lots to learn about the camera, and I don't pretend that it's right for all subjects. But within its niche, I think it might be something a bit special. I'm enjoying it, anyway.

If you have questions, I'll try to answer them.

Robert

Brazile
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Sigma DP2 Quattro mini review

Post by Brazile »

A couple more shots I had intended to include in the original post, but missed because I hadn't tagged them properly. I would have embedded them in the original post, but apparently the "edit" feature on this forum has a 25 URL limit that didn't seem apply to the original posting. The Flickr embedding BBCode is a bit chatty -- four URLs for each photo link, which seems to have caused me to inadvertently run afoul of the limit.

The view from a good friend's lake house:

DP2Q0073, Mystic Lake view by rbrazile, on Flickr

And teammates setting up for a post tournament party there:

DP2Q0064, Party set-up by rbrazile, on Flickr

Robert
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

Great results, Robert. I'll have to get over to Flickr to leave some Favorites, especially for the rebuilt bike. It looks great.

You can delete the leading url, the one right before the title of each photo, and the one between the title and "by". For five photos, that's fifteen urls removed from the limit.

Or you could just post one photo here, and a link to the set (album).

PF
Waiting for the light
Bennybee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Bennybee »

Great results. Keep us updated. Congrats with that camera. I like that bike BTW...
Philip
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Philip »

Great pictures. It looks like it would be easily held, too, with that odd grip. Have you had any difficulties with battery life?
My Flickrs: http://www.flickr.com/flipflik (recent postings), or
- http://www.flickriver.com/photos/flipfl ... teresting/ (Flickr's calculation of my "most interesting" pics);
- http://www.flickr.com/photos/flipflik/s ... 879115542/ (what I like best).
Brazile
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Brazile »

Thanks, PF, yeah, I thought about trimming the URLs, but it was easier just to pop the last couple into a reply. My main reason for mentioning it was simply that the original post went through fine; it was only the edit that was objecting to the overage -- even when it was just the original post, which I thought a bit odd.

Thanks Benny.

And yes, I'm very happy with the bike. Took it on a two hour, 21-mile ride yesterday to check it out. No issues, even on dirt paths; very comfortable and the dynohub with the LED light worked flawlessly and without making itself known at all. A bit slower than my road bikes, but definitely cushy and much better able to carry things. And with the good metal fenders (or mudguards for our members elsewhere -- a pain to install but sturdy and great for keeping water spray off the bike) and the internal gear hub, should be fairly low-maintenance for commuting, always a good thing.
Brazile
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Brazile »

Thanks, Philip. Yes, the grip is a bit odd, but I find it easy to hold, as you point out, whereas the older DP models needed an accessory grip in my opinion. I bought Richard Franiec's grip for both my DP1 and DP2 and was happy with that; this one doesn't really need it. If I'd had a say in it, I'd have tweaked where they put the buttons where they fall under your right thumb just a bit, but it's no big issue; I've had no trouble getting used to it as it is.

Sigma has never been the best at power management, I think in part because of the demands of the sensor and the off-the-shelf processors they've used in the past, so I have a built-in tendency to turn the camera off in between shots unless I'm really working something. As a result, I've not had any trouble with the battery life at all. The Merrill cameras were apparently quite bad about this, but the Quattro is improved from that, and on par with the older DP models, I think, at least for my usage. Nothing like my Nikon, which just goes and goes and goes, but good enough that it hasn't annoyed me yet. Plus the camera comes with two batteries, which I think will get me through a day of walking around while traveling, which is all I really need.
Dennis Gallus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Dennis Gallus »

Robert,

Thanks for a very well-written review with excellent supporting pictures. The image quality of that 30 mm lens is excellent.

Sigma has certainly abandoned the traditional view of what a camera should look like. I can't imagine that the DP2 would travel well in a pocket. It will be interesting to see how it sells. It is priced rather high for a point-and-shoot type.

Best,
Dennis
Dennis Gallus
Hereford, Arizona USA
Brazile
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Brazile »

Dennis, thanks. I wrote a response, but it seems to have been swallowed by the site somehow. The short version: the DP2Q for better or worse is aimed not at point-and-shoots (yes, too expensive for that) but rather at people who would like to achieve the kind of results they can get with a D810 or possibly even MF with a small light camera that can tuck away fairly small -- at least, compared to MF or even most FF cameras. They're not quite there yet, but it's interesting enough that it's worthwhile for me.

Also, the thin part of the body is thin enough to go in some pockets, although the battery grip will likely stick out a bit. It's not as nice as the previous DP cameras or other similarly-small bodies, but it's good enough for me.

Robert
P C Headland
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by P C Headland »

Nice write up. Still elements of the incredible detail achievable with the previous Merrills, and the lovely way they render clouds.

I'm still really liking my DP2M. It really is like a MF/LF camera that's been attacked with the shrink ray. I may end up having to get the DP1Q, but I'll wait a while first. It should make a stunning landscape camera.