Back East

Often simply written as "W/NW" - your favorite photos. Explain them, or let your photos (film or digital) speak for themselves.
Dennis Gallus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Back East

Post by Dennis Gallus »

I had an unplanned trip back to the East Coast last month, and took along the D700. I revisited several of my old photo haunts and enjoyed the Autumn colors.

The old Second Street school in Waterford, Virginia. Now only used for school field trips, not for classes.

The railroad station in Point of Rocks, Maryland. Constructed in 1873 in the Gothic Revival style, it is allegedly the most photographed station on the east coast. Commuters take daily trains to Union Station in Washington, DC. I took this photo as the 1330 freight train to Brunswick, MD came through. My usual "Vivid" setting on the D700 was enhanced by a polarizing filter.

A lock-keeper's house on the old Chesapeake and Ohio Canal. Without constantly flowing water, the locks are covered with algae. Again, the effect of the polarizer was noticeable.

A flour mill along Tuscarora Creek between Point of Rocks and Adamstown, Maryland. Built around 1812, it is in much worse shape then when I last visited three or four years ago.

Whoever now keeps the mill has a good collection of rusty Ford trucks, dating from the '50s.

The main drag through Lexington, Virginia. I visited Virginia Military Institute. More photos to follow soon.

The D700 and 24-85mm Nikon zoom pleased me greatly.

Thanks for viewing,
Dennis

Dennis Gallus
Hereford, Arizona USA
minoly
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Back East

Post by minoly »

Your "back East" photos wake up the imagination--the train station, the lockkeeper's house, and the schoolhouse make me think of all the activity that once went on in them. The colors and the views you chose suggest busy times in those places; the mill and the trucks, on the other hand, look defeated-- what looks like an old jack hanging in front of the truck and the two tires at its side don't look very hopeful. All are skillful photos and I hope to see the others.

Bill Delehanty
jamesmck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by jamesmck »

Thanks for this very pleasing series. The vibrant and crisp colors are remarkable. "Vivid" to be sure. A welcome antidote to the dreary and wintery weather here in New England today. The D700 sings in your hands.
--- James
James McKearney
rgeorge911

Post by rgeorge911 »

Wonderful! Do the owners have any problem with you photographing their trucks? I remember you and I getting chased down near Waterford for entering a farmer's field; still remember the pics I got this my Exacta that day.

Reed
My Blog: DMC-365.blogspot.com
Brazile
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Brazile »

Enjoyed that a lot -- reminded me of a bike tour I did once down the C&O canal. Good to see some of that stuff again.

Robert
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

I was just photographing a canal lock yesterday, Dennis. It's at the Ben Salem wayside on US-60 between Lexington and Buena Vista. I'll be dropping of the film tomorrow (Tues). I love the composition of your photos, and eagerly await the next installment.

PF
Waiting for the light
Dennis Gallus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Dennis Gallus »

Thank you, Guys, for your kind comments. Bill, I like your analysis of the previously busy places vs. the defeated-looking ones. The mill in particular deserves better than what it is getting. More than 200 years old, easily accessible, and yet it isn't even in the Frederick County register of historical sites.

James, you and I got some good rusty truck pictures five years ago. We should have attempted a "four seasons" treatment or something. Reed, I've never been hassled by the owner of the rusty trucks. He had a cable and fence marking the boundary of his parking lot, but never seemed to notice James or I on our visits.

Robert, I've done a bit of hiking and biking along the canal too. The Monocacy Aqueduct is just east (upstream) of Lock 27, where I photographed the lock-keeper's house. Hope that you get back there someday.

Phil, I'm happy that you like the compositions. Maybe after all these years, I'm getting it right. Being able to post-process digital photos certainly helps.

Best regards,
Dennis
Dennis Gallus
Hereford, Arizona USA
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by GrahamS »

I'll just add a belated "Bravo!", Dennis. Fall on the east coast sure is a lot more colourful than Arizona. These are calendar shots.....
GrahamS
Age brings wisdom....or age shows up alone. You never know.
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Julio1fer »

A beautiful series! It is easy to understand why these were your hunting places. With the Fall colors they are incredible.