Tele-Astranar 400/6.3

With interchangeable lenses and larger sensors, these two popular camera styles appeal to the professional in all of us.
Brian
Amateur
Amateur

Tele-Astranar 400/6.3

Post by Brian »

I had one of these when 14, used with my Argus/Cosina STL1000. Got a lot pf pictures of Football games, Field Hockey, and other outdoor sports in the High School yearbook with it. I traded that lens off over 35 years ago after picking up Nikkor lenses. Paid $34.94 for the lens, another $10 for the case and hood.

I found one on Ebay for $15, was the only bidder. Came with the Hood. Looks almost new, could have been my old lens frozen in time. This lens is very light, a simple design- thin glass elements. front-Cell focusing, means no heavy helical. I tried it out on the D1- it is T-Mount, so i replaced the M42 mount with an F-Mount that has been tested on AF cameras. The older ones have a stop-screw in them that will hang up on the contacts for the AF.

The entire front section rotates, so no using a Polarizer. BUT- the entire front section can be used to focus, it is easy to grab with gloves.

Imageastranar

Surprisingly good, again- a simple design that does not push the speed envelope.

Image400mm F6.3 Tele-Astranar

We did not dig up the 19th century graveyard in out neighborhood.

Which was built right after Poltergeist came out.

Close focus is just under 20ft.

These shots are wide-open, hand-held at ISO200.

Brian
Amateur
Amateur

Re: Tele-Astranar 400/6.3

Post by Brian »

And it does pretty good with color,

PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

Can't recall as I've ever seen anyone do macro work with one of those, Brian. Splendid shot of the back-lit leaf.

PF
Waiting for the light
Dennis Gallus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Dennis Gallus »

Brian,

For your small investment, you should have a lot of fun with that lens. It's sometimes surprising how some old lenses languish on eBay. I picked up an Auto-Telesar 300mm/4 a few years back for $25. It's good enough for some applications; one doesn't always need Nikkor quality.

Your fourth shot of the backlit leaf is outstanding.

Best,
Dennis
Dennis Gallus
Hereford, Arizona USA