Film Type Question

Upcoming events, lights, tripods, camera bags and other topics that don't fit within one of the other categories.
RonB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Film Type Question

Post by RonB »

I picked up a couple rolls of 35mm film at my friendly thrift store @ .99 a roll. Both rolls are in the factory shrink wrap, canisters have never been opened.
One roll is C-41 400 24 exp. with Photoworks label, made in Italy, finished in USA, most likely Ferrina ? Expires 03/02 :clap:
The other roll is labeled SignatureColor Photosource 35mm Professional Color Film 20 esp. No exp date or prossessing type , Not marked C 41 or anything? I wonder who made this film?
There is an address to mail it back to for finishing in Austin Tx. Also a phone number, which no one answers :(
But @ .99 a roll, why worry :roll:

RonB

Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Re: Film Type Question

Post by Julio1fer »

Should be usable, maybe with a bit of fog or color shift.

Anybody's guess about the second roll. If it is not marked in the package you can pick the ISO in the second one by looking at the bar code in the cartridge.

The first one, likely it is Ferrania-made, 3M to be precise. Not a bad film when fresh, it was sold in England. I shot a trip there, using that film back in the early 90s.
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

I think your second roll might be like that stuff that used to come from Washington state that was some sort of unwanted movie film, and was sold to the general public with instructions to return it for developing. Anyone who took it into a regular lab just got a roll of junk back, as it was not compatible with C-41 chemicals. It would also mess up the processing machines, and they would have to be flushed before regular production could be resumed. The first roll is safe, just old. Without a change in ISO setting, you'll likely get a bit of color shift, and underexposure.

PF
Waiting for the light
RonB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by RonB »

Looks like I have a new shelf queen. I may try the good roll this spring as soon as the weather warms some?
Phil, which way should I go with the ISO to improve the color, or just set at what it is?

RonB
RonB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by RonB »

Maybe at 200 ?
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

That would be good, Ron. Don't want to go too far.

PF
Waiting for the light
LarryD
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by LarryD »

There is a lab that still processes Remjet backed films and I also do it here at home but they use a CD4 developer like C-41 where I do a CD3 developer that I made by modifying some RA-4 developer that is Native to this film. as it was ENC-2 process. Most use C-41 I am the only one that uses the native developer for it. I would use ENC-2 but Kodak will not even sell it to my supplier so I made my own more or less. As for knowing if it is Remjet backed that will foul up a machine if the back is black like Kodachrome then it is.
If we all saw the world the same no one would need a camera.