Super Wester Rehab Questions...

Share your advice about camera repair or ask a question.
scott
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Super Wester Rehab Questions...

Post by scott »

Putting all the repair/rehab stuff here.

So, shutter cleaned up nicely. Is a Prontor clone.
ImageNKK shutter by Scott, on Flickr

Didn't need too much. Speeds sound pretty close, close enough for print film. I didn't mess with adjusting them (click for video).
ImageNishida shutter by Scott, on Flickr

So, was thinking I was ready to throw some film in and try it out. Decided I'd clean and lube the struts on the door, as it wouldn't self-open on release, had to kind of pull it free. Cleaning it with xylene, and a little Rem Oil, and it pops out nicely. Also decided I'd put a little lube on the threads for the helical. Mixed a little Rem Oil in some PTFE lube and just dabbed a little in the exposed threads. As I started moving the lens in and out, I noticed the ring on the helical wasn't actually traveling fully - hits a certain point, then slides the rest of the way (video):
ImageUntitled by Scott, on Flickr

Checked the connection between the rangefinder and the helical, and the infinity isn't set correctly (video):
ImageUntitled by Scott, on Flickr

So, I guess I'm not done. I'm -guessing- I need to pull the shutter to expose the helical and adjustment ring, then adjust something the the standard travels full stroke. Then, adjust the rangefinder and collimate? Been a while.

Does that sound right?
Scott

titrisol
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Super Wester Rehab Questions...

Post by titrisol »

The infinity adjustment looks like to Solinettes, ad the ring for focusing looks like the Karats.
PMF has a lot of good pictures on the disassembly of the focusing ring.
If you can't fix it with a hammer... you got an electrical problem
even duct tape can't fix stupid.... but it can muffle it (SilentObserver)
My Flickr -ipernity
Thanks CE Nelson ;)
P C Headland
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by P C Headland »

Looks vaguely similar to the setup on the Iskra & Super Fujica-6 (both unit focusing RFs). I seem to recall coming across the process for adjusting the RF on the Iskra (or equivalent Agfa) - maybe that would be a good starting point?

At risk of asking my grandmother to suck eggs (or me not understanding), do you know if it is it the lens that is causing the stickiness or the RF mechanism?
scott
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by scott »

titrisol wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:18 am
The infinity adjustment looks like to Solinettes, ad the ring for focusing looks like the Karats.
PMF has a lot of good pictures on the disassembly of the focusing ring.
Good! Thanks for the tip. I’ll wait for PF to chime in.
scott
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by scott »

P C Headland wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2024 5:59 pm
Looks vaguely similar to the setup on the Iskra & Super Fujica-6 (both unit focusing RFs). I seem to recall coming across the process for adjusting the RF on the Iskra (or equivalent Agfa) - maybe that would be a good starting point?

At risk of asking my grandmother to suck eggs (or me not understanding), do you know if it is it the lens that is causing the stickiness or the RF mechanism?
What seems to be happening is the infinity hits the limit too early, then the ring just kind of slides the rest of its travel. Then slides back until that point and then the standard starts traveling again. No evidence of anyone having been in it before. I’m hoping it’s just a matter of realigning something. I’m really not looking forward to pulling the top off it though, but the rangefinder will definitely need to be adjusted after this.
melek
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by melek »

You know, it's almost like it's sliding off of the helical, but it isn't because it re-engages. If it was off the helical, you wouldn't think that it would re-engage each time. I'm eager to see what you learn.
-Mike Elek
titrisol
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by titrisol »

scott wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2024 6:35 pm
P C Headland wrote:

What seems to be happening is the infinity hits the limit too early, then the ring just kind of slides the rest of its travel. Then slides back until that point and then the standard starts traveling again. No evidence of anyone having been in it before. I’m hoping it’s just a matter of realigning something. I’m really not looking forward to pulling the top off it though, but the rangefinder will definitely need to be adjusted after this.
Adjusting the RF is done with that little screw under the shutter (5 oclock positon) no need to remove the top unless it is really out of whack. Solinettes are like that
After collimating, adjust the RF to infinity or a fixed distance (2m) using that screw and done
My Flickr -ipernity
Thanks CE Nelson ;)
scott
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by scott »

titrisol wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2024 7:55 pm
scott wrote:
P C Headland wrote:

Adjusting the RF is done with that little screw under the shutter (5 oclock positon) no need to remove the top unless it is really out of whack. Solinettes are like that
After collimating, adjust the RF to infinity or a fixed distance (2m) using that screw and done
Good to know! I’m guessing I still need to pull the shutter and fix the focus ring not traveling the full stroke first. Will be working on this for the next couple days after work.
scott
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by scott »

titrisol wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2024 7:55 pm
scott wrote:
P C Headland wrote:

Okay, I’m rereading this (gave up caffeine months ago, may need to go back). I’m thinking/hoping now I can rotate the focus ring to its current max, loosen that screw, move the ring to the limit of its travel, then collimate? Could it be that easy?
titrisol
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by titrisol »

I think so.
* The hard part is to fix the focus ring and collimate

* Once you have done that you need to set the RF to infinity
If my hunch is correct (you can test with your finger) the RF moves with the sliding lever that is attached to that screw. Thus if you have your lens collimated all you need to adjust is how far that slider moves to match the lens (with the screw only)
I see it in my head but I'm not sure the write up makes sense
scott wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:55 am

Okay, I’m rereading this (gave up caffeine months ago, may need to go back). I’m thinking/hoping now I can rotate the focus ring to its current max, loosen that screw, move the ring to the limit of its travel, then collimate? Could it be that easy?
My Flickr -ipernity
Thanks CE Nelson ;)